Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hand Quilting and the LQS >
  • Hand Quilting and the LQS

• Hand Quilting and the LQS

Old 10-18-2011, 07:31 AM

Wow, such great information. I am such a baby when it comes to having my finger pricked, for this reason I have only tried a few stitches. I thought to myself it would be so much easier if I could just have the fabric loose and now I see the quilt police won't come and get me if I do loosen it. I think I will have to get one of these and try again. I just love the look of hand quilting and it just seems so much more personal. I live probably and hour or so away from the fabric shack so I"ll make a trip. Thank you again.
    Old 10-18-2011, 07:55 AM

Although i just bought a quilting sewing machine i will always handquilt....i just love it but am very slow...i had never heard of a Aunt Becky tool.....think i might get one too....I think handquilting is just part of being a quilter...that sounds like a good tool....thanks...
    Originally Posted by AshleyR
    Shopping at quilt store is not a happy time to me. Since "all" I do is hand-quilt, I haven't had much of a need for them. And to me, it's like shopping at Victoria's Secret. I know there's stuff in there that can make me better, but I rarely step over the thresh-hold...
    I have decided to try one of those Aunt Becky quilt-tools, so, I went to the quilt shop to buy one. I think I walked in on a class, because there were about 10 ladies on machines. One of them came to help me, but had never heard of the Aunt Becky (how I wish there was a better name than that!!) so she asked someone else, who knew they didn't have one but would be happy to order one for me. I told her they were just a few bucks off the internet so I'd order one. She didn't care. I thanked them both and left.
    I did order two of them when I got to the office. It was quick and easy and I'll have to wait a week or so, but that's ok. When I get them, I'll take them to the same shop and show them what I was talking about. I don't think it will matter. I just feel that they are fat quarters, quilt books, and machine sales stores. I'm not saying that's *all* quilt stores, but I think one of the reasons hand-quilting is a "dying art" is because there's no support in the quilt stores, because there's not much profit to be made on "hand quilting".
    I bought my Aunt Becky's on that Connecting Threads website. I figured since I was making an order, I'd look at their thread. So I searched their site for "hand quilting thread" and they showed me some pretty colors, but I didn't see where they were coated for handquilting. Then I searched "hand quilting" and "handquilting" and they showed me the Aunt Becky, some fabric, a pack of needles, some tutorials... and quilting gloves.
    I hate to say this... But I guess I'll stick with Joann's and Michaels, AC Moore and Hobby Lobby for my tools and batting and what I can't find, I'll purchase off the internet. I'd love to support the "little guy", but when the "little guy" can't support me, I give up.
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 AM

I haven`t handpieced in a while....you`ve just inspired me...i want to do a dresden plate and would have to order the ruler online, but i think i`m just going to do handpieced and just trace the pattern.....yes.....
    Originally Posted by Hurricane
    I've hand pieced and hand quilted for years and absolutely love it. Yes, I don't get quick results but it's so rewarding when finished. My daughter bought me a sewing machine and I had the hardest time matching the seams. I'd rather piece by hand. For me sitting in front of the tv with my piecing and quilting is so relaxing. As one poster mentioned, you don't need many supplies just scissors and thread.
    '
    :thumbup:
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 AM

Without reading all the replies, I agree with the OP 100%. Hand quilting thread is very difficult to find locally. Connecting Threads doesn't carry it. The only colors my local shop carries are white and black. Pretty pitiful since they have the nerve to call themselves 'quilt shops'.
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 AM

I can see a big rush of orders for an Aunt Becky and a lot of frustrated quilters trying to use it. I hand quilt and have tried and tried to use Aunt Becky, but always end up putting it back in the drawer, even after I have been ABSOLUTELY DETERMINED to master it.
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by GemState
    I can see a big rush of orders for an Aunt Becky and a lot of frustrated quilters trying to use it. I hand quilt and have tried and tried to use Aunt Becky, but always end up putting it back in the drawer, even after I have been ABSOLUTELY DETERMINED to master it.
    Me, too!
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 AM

I think some folks are using special spoons instead of Aunt Becky's. See http://www.jinnybeyer.com/search.cfm?query=spoon to see what I'm refering to.
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 AM
    mim

I have taken projects with me to Keepsake in NH and had everyone gather and give opinions and ideas when I needed to get inspired again.
    Sometimes I need a particular color for a border -- you know one of those shades "I'll know it when I see it" colors -- It really helps to have another pair of eyes sometimes.
    Mim
    [quote=Wonnie
    Would have to say LQS have nice fabric but, as others have said, some can be really snooty. The snooty ones usually say, with great enthusiasm, "Oh, bring in what you're working on. We'd LOVE to see it!" but, I've noticed that when you do their smile rarely reaches their eyes and they are scanning it to see if you used their fabric. Have been in some really wonderful quilt shops but the others are out there, too, so, don't give up on quilt shops.[/quote]
    Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by BigDog
    Without reading all the replies, I agree with the OP 100%. Hand quilting thread is very difficult to find locally. Connecting Threads doesn't carry it. The only colors my local shop carries are white and black. Pretty pitiful since they have the nerve to call themselves 'quilt shops'.
    Have you tried www.missouriquiltco.com? They carry many, many colors of hand quilting thread....Gutermann, 219 yards per spool, 100% mercerized cotton, fine, strong with waxed finish to make it pull through easily AND their shipping is only EVER $5.00 no matter what you order plus, as a bonus, GREAT FREE tutorials!
    Old 10-18-2011, 09:11 AM

I also like to feel the touch of the needle on my underhand. Fingers get sore but after awhile, they do toughen up

Pat