Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • hand quilting over seams?? >
  • hand quilting over seams??

• hand quilting over seams??

Old 08-27-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by running1
    Ok friends, somehow I've managed to add a picture of part of the quilt to my original question... the dimensions are: each "diamond" is 8" square and strips are 1.5" wide...
    I would probably quilt around each triangle a quarter inch from the seam on each side. Your quilt is beautiful and anything you decide on the quilting will be as beautiful I'm sure.
    Old 08-27-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by dlong
    Ok friends, somehow I've managed to add a picture of part of the quilt to my original question... the dimensions are: each "diamond" is 8" square and strips are 1.5" wide...
    I would probably quilt around each triangle a quarter inch from the seam on each side. Your quilt is beautiful and anything you decide on the quilting will be as beautiful I'm sure.
    I concur - either that or just show off the piecing by SID, our quilting group at church does that to many of the quilts we quilt both to anchor the quilt and emphasize the piecing, especially those quilts that have lots of intricate piecing.
    Old 08-27-2011, 07:11 AM

I dont quilt ,just can not get hang of it ,but I think it would be nice SID. around block
    Old 08-27-2011, 07:12 AM

Hi I do hand quilting all the time.. I takes a little more time on the seams but it works out every time.. Little harder on the finger ..
    Old 08-27-2011, 07:14 AM

I need your expertise! I made a scrappy quilt for my DS and didn't want edge-to-edge quilting, and I can't really afford a custom quilting job right now. I recently took a machine quilting class and still need to do a lot of practice. I've been practicing my hand quilting and love it. In fact I'd decided I would hand quilt this top... but, now that I have it out, I remember how many seams it has... every 1.5 inches is a seam. The pattern is called "Whacky Rails" and I've had it for years. Will I get in trouble trying to quilt over all the seams? Should I try to do a more primitive quilting with large stitches (haven't tried that... will it hinder my small stitching?) Should I give up thinking about hand quilting this one and start practicing on my own machine quilting?

Hand quilt it and just go under the seams, most batting will allow 4 to 6 inches between quilting so it will look great from the top and you can still hand quilt... That's the way I do it, when the seam is to thick I go through it or under it....
    sigh... I guess I just want my quilting friends to weigh in on this one???
    Old 08-27-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
    Hope this shows up ok. My camera is functional but in need of a repair, so this a bit out of focus. Any more zoomed in, it gets more blurry. Plus, I don't want you to look TOO close at my quilting! lol ;-) This is what's in my hoop at the moment. Any inconsistency is more about my skill level, than about seams, I think.
    Lovely quilt and quilting. What do you use to mark your quilt?
    Old 08-27-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
    Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
    Hope this shows up ok. My camera is functional but in need of a repair, so this a bit out of focus. Any more zoomed in, it gets more blurry. Plus, I don't want you to look TOO close at my quilting! lol ;-) This is what's in my hoop at the moment. Any inconsistency is more about my skill level, than about seams, I think.
    Lovely quilt and quilting. What do you use to mark your quilt?
    Thank you! :) I bought a SewLine marking pencil, and the dark and white leads to go with it, because what I was using at first was giving me fits. That worked well. Then I lost it, so have been back to the original marking tools- for the dark lines, I'm using the "Ultimate Marking Pencil", which works ok, and for the light lines I have a cheapo yellow marking pencil (don't remember the brand) which has a very soft lead the breaks all the time, and can only mark a section at a time because it wipes off so easily. What I really need to do is just buy a mechanical pencil to put the SewLine replacement leads in, but haven't gotten around to it.
    Old 08-27-2011, 07:57 AM

Looks good!
    Old 08-27-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by KS quilter
    I also agree with Kristin. I've made this quilt a few years
    back. Rhonda Dieker created that pattern, and her shop used
    to be 40 minutes from me. I hand quilted mine. If I'm on a
    seam and it doesn't always get the back layer on a stitch, I
    don't worry about it. It doesn't happen often and is alomost impossible to find a missed stitch.
    This is what I do too. After all it's my quilt and I'm not going to stress over few missed stitches.
    Old 08-27-2011, 09:22 AM
    Power Poster

Very nice hand quilting - I like the serpentine quilting.