Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hand quilting... >
  • Hand quilting...

• Hand quilting...

Old 06-23-2010, 05:19 AM

I think everything has been mentioned regarding your questions about handquilting, Sharon. Just one more thing: Handquilting is like handwriting. Everybody has her/his own style, perfers different tools, has a different speed and a different size. Try to find your own way and if one method doesn't work for you look out to find another one. The important thing is that you reach what you are looking for -the way you go comes second.
    Old 06-23-2010, 05:30 AM

I use a round lap hoop, starting in middle and working outward. A between quilting needle size 10, may try a 12. I also use a Clover needle threader that I find a "must have". I can't see the small eye anymore to thread the needle. The thimble I use is a metal thimble with a "lip" around the top to keep the needle from slipping off. I also use a thumb thimble as I also quilt away from me and I don't have to keep turning the hoop. I use hand quilting thread. I use "fitted" disposable gloves that I cut the fingers out of and place on my index finger to help pull the needle through. Keeps you fingers from slipping on the needle. Hope this helps.
    Old 06-23-2010, 05:58 AM

Boy, am i dizzy or what? Reading all this info on needles! Im glad you posted this because i thought that 1 quilting needle was just that....Quilting needle. Thanks for all the info, cuz im going to need it when & if i do hand quilting!
    Old 06-23-2010, 06:32 AM

I use a #12 Jeanna Kimball between needle for hand piecing and quilting.. for smaller projects I don't use a hoop or frame of any kind.. just baste close and roll. for large projects, friends and I always use a basting frame to baste it, then transfer to a sawhorse type floor frame. I use a stab stitch not unlike needlepointing with one hand above and one below. When my fingers get really sore I do use a pink tape that is plastic feeling and sticks really well but I can still feel a very light touch through. Now I'm getting ready to "baste" my first lap quilt using the 505 spray that my friend Jill .. aka.. Alabama Quilter .. recommended which I have found to be wonderful on smaller projects.
    Old 06-23-2010, 06:34 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    The best needles to use ?
    Thimbles? Fingers, thumbs and how can you judge size?
    Spoon or Aunt Betty?
    Hoops, types?
    Thread, doubled or single strand?
    Types of thread?
    Any information is welcome..

Thanks.
    Sharon
    Best needle is a matter of opinion. I do know it is best not to scrimp on needles as good needles make a world of difference in how much sharper they are so glide through your layers much easier. Since discovering Roxanne needles I don't use anything else. I use a size 11 or 12 between.

I do not use a thimble, I push the needle with my fingernail. Once I get my stiches started I sometimes slip on my silver thimble with the cutout for nail. Very similar to a roxanne thimble (with equally similar, shockingly high price but worth it to me as it is the only thimble I have ever tried that I can actually use). I use my index finger and my thumb to push the needle so I have a thimble for each of those digits. I like to load about 9 stitches on a needle before pulling through. I use a piece of a cut up rubber glove to grab the needle.

No spoon or aunt betty. I use my unprotected index finger under to feel if I have gone through all layers and have a pretty good callous on the pad of that finger.

I have a 14" lap hoop that is made out of molded heavy duty plastic of some sort that I picked up at a LQS several years ago after breaking numerous of the wood kind sold at Joannes. Love my lap hoop.

Thread: single strand. I really really like Valdani thread but it is difficult to find. I use the 35wt and a single spool lasts a long time! Unlike most quilters, I thread a fairly long strand on my needle, usually about 36". I run my thread through beeswax. DH keeps bees so I get really high quality capping wax. Smells heavenly and is much nicer then the beeswax you can buy commercially. Never have a problem with tangling or knotting or breakage. I think this attributed to using a high quality thread more then the wax. I will thread about 10 needles before sitting down to a session. With such a long strand of thread it is doubled up except the very end that ends up being my quilting stitches, where it is single strand. I slide my needle down the thread after every couple of needle fulls.

Batting: I understand wool is a dream to handquilt but have never sprung for wool batting. I have hand quilted Hobbs 80/20 blend which is nice and Quilters dream polyester, also very nice.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is lighting. Good lighting is essential! I have a wonderful Ottlight floor lamp with attached magnifier for threading those tiny needles. What a difference good lighting makes!
    Old 06-23-2010, 06:55 AM

I want an ottlamp but couldn't afford them...JoAnn had a sale and i went on 1st day, they were all gone and they don't do "back order".
    Is there any difference on using quilting thread as far as thickness, brand or quality?
    Old 06-23-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by nwm50
    I want an ottlamp but couldn't afford them...JoAnn had a sale and i went on 1st day, they were all gone and they don't do "back order".
    Is there any difference on using quilting thread as far as thickness, brand or quality?
    I think there is a difference, and everyone has their favorite. I try and get thread that is made for hand quilting - machine quilting thread tends to fray when I use it, as does metallic thread. The last time I used Coats and Clark hand quilting thread it had thin spots. I've been very happy with YLI hand quilting thread.
    Old 06-23-2010, 07:06 AM

what is YLI ? Brand name?
    Old 06-23-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by nwm50
    what is YLI ? Brand name?
    Yes, it's a brand name. It's available at a lot of quilt shops and online. I've never seen it a Joann's, but I don't go there much.
    Old 06-23-2010, 07:15 AM

thanks for the ingo. I need to go online and see if Jacksonville, Fl has LQS rather than Joann's. Want to see what else is out there selling on fabric & all. Joann has a bad sales people on floor & not so nice either!