Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hand  Sewing  Binding  to  Back >
  • Hand Sewing Binding to Back

• Hand Sewing Binding to Back

Old 04-07-2018, 01:34 PM

Default Hand Sewing Binding to Back

When stitching the binding to the back , do you feel it's secure enough to pick up just one thread of the backing or do you pick up a couple or even three ?
    Old 04-07-2018, 01:55 PM
    Power Poster

Neither. If doing a blind stitch, I tunnel under the quilt back and catch 2-3 threads of the binding. If doing a ladder stitch, I tunnel alternately through quilt back and binding. Here's a good description - http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...ack__D102.html
    Old 04-07-2018, 02:09 PM

I ladder stitch also. I make mostly charity quilts and assume they'll be washed, I'd rather they be more secure than not, since I cannot fix them later.
    Old 04-07-2018, 02:14 PM
    Power Poster

I bury the knot under the binding to start, go under about 1/8 to 1/4 inch into the backing/ batting and come up catching the edge of the binding. After that one stitch I go back down into the backing/binding right at the stitch, travel the 1/8 to 1/4 and come up through the binding edge again. I use one strand of good quality thread on a John James needle for binding.
    Old 04-07-2018, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I bury the knot under the binding to start, go under about 1/8 to 1/4 inch into the backing/ batting and come up catching the edge of the binding. After that one stitch I go back down into the backing/binding right at the stitch, travel the 1/8 to 1/4 and come up through the binding edge again. I use one strand of good quality thread on a John James needle for binding.
    this is how i do mine too. the resultant finished binding holds up well to my little grand treasures use/love & abuse of the quilts i've made them over the years.
    Old 04-07-2018, 05:40 PM

I follow mostly the same process as Tartan and roguequilter. Although I don't stress about how much batting I might be picking up. What I also do, though, is 'lock' each stitch. Not a ladder stitch per se, but close, but each stitch ends up being 'knotted' to a degree. I come up through the backing/binding and go under the loose thread from the previous stitch and pull until it is taut. Sort of 'knots' each stitch and to the best of my knowledge, none of bindings have come apart yet. I usually catch 3-4 threads of both backing/binding on each stitch.
    Old 04-07-2018, 07:06 PM
    Power Poster

I now machine sew all my bindings. I know they will not come out. I use a bit smaller stitch. I back tack at all corners.
    Old 04-07-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    This is how I do it also. ... except I have no idea of the kind of needle I use. Does it matter much?
    Old 04-07-2018, 08:25 PM
    Power Poster

Needle type is personal preference. I like a really narrow, sharp one with a little bigger eye for easy threading.
    Old 04-07-2018, 11:22 PM

As well as catching enough of the back and batting, every few stitches I catch the line of stitching that sewed the binding to the right side too.