Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hanging Quilts >
  • Hanging Quilts

• Hanging Quilts

Old 04-26-2011, 10:42 PM

I would like to hang some of my quilts. One of the shops I was in used a decorative curtain rod and the rings with little clips to hang the quilt. Will the clips hurt the quilt? How do you hang your quilts?
    Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 PM

You could sew on a pocket on the back and hang it on a rod with decorative ends.
    Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 AM

No, the rings will not hurt your quilt, I use them all the time, including using them on a queen size. A sleeve is another option, but, I don't always know I'm going to hang a quilt when I make it, so, I use the rings and curtain rod. If it is a wall hanging or small decorative quilt that is only to be hung, then I use a sleeve or corner pockets for doweling.
    Old 04-27-2011, 02:32 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterella
    No, the rings will not hurt your quilt, I use them all the time, including using them on a queen size. A sleeve is another option, but, I don't always know I'm going to hang a quilt when I make it, so, I use the rings and curtain rod. If it is a wall hanging or small decorative quilt that is only to be hung, then I use a sleeve or corner pockets for doweling.
    I do this too, with the corner pockets or sleeve, caught in under the binding. That way, the corner pockets need no hand sewing, just fold a square in half and machine into the corners about an 1/8" in from the edge, then the binding covers the raw edge. With the sleeve, I hem the ends, fold in half then stitch the raw edge to the top of the quilt, 1/8" in, the folded part is hand sewn to the back. Bag it up slightly, ie not tight to the quilt, then the rod won't show on the front.

Regarding the clips, I have a rather large 81" x 81" quilted door curtain hung from them - it hung for about a year in my French house and has now hung for nine months here in England and there's not a mark on it. :-D It's posted here, hanging in France http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28426-1.htm :-D
    Old 04-27-2011, 02:36 AM
    Banned

The easy way is just to get push-pins and carefully work them through the fabric, then into the wall. They won't tear the thread, and will only leave tiny holes in the wall, and are easy to move. You can hang a queen-sized quilt with only 4 pins.

This is what a lot of quilt shops do to display quilts.
    Old 04-27-2011, 03:36 AM
    Power Poster

i usually put either hanging sleeves or tabs on my quilts - but also skirt/pant hangers with (clothespin clamps) work well. i have a few of these hangers- i can clip 2 or 3 of them across the top of a quilt and hang it over curtain rods/closet rod, or even on the top of doors
    Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
    I like this idea.
    Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
    The easy way is just to get push-pins and carefully work them through the fabric, then into the wall. They won't tear the thread, and will only leave tiny holes in the wall, and are easy to move. You can hang a queen-sized quilt with only 4 pins.

This is what a lot of quilt shops do to display quilts.
    I would not do this - there is a lot of weight to hang from 4 pins. There can be a problem with sagging and stretching. For a wall quilt, sure, but not a bed quilt. I would not put my quilt in a shop that did this. Although I once bought an antique quilt that had been NAILED to the wall for display - had to borrow a hammer to get it down.
    Old 04-27-2011, 06:37 AM

We use the clips when we go to quilt shows, they work great and have never damaged any quilt of ours.

Lanny
    Old 04-27-2011, 06:53 AM

I have posted this photo before, but this is how I hang my quilts. I put a pushpin in the wall & hang the dowel on that.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-189829.jpe