Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hanging Quilts >
  • Hanging Quilts

• Hanging Quilts

Old 02-22-2019, 10:17 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]609014[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]609015[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]609016[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails quilts-walls-entrance.jpg   daniels-color-block-quilt.jpg   daniels-baby-quilt.jpg  
    Old 02-22-2019, 02:50 PM
    Power Poster

I like the curtain rods idea.

All the quilts are beautiful
    Old 02-22-2019, 08:08 PM

I feel the same. Like the rods, love all the quilts!
    Originally Posted by Jingle
    I like the curtain rods idea.

All the quilts are beautiful
    Old 02-23-2019, 12:18 AM

I'm a curtain-rod-and-hanging-sleeve girl; I don't like those grippy teeth on curtain rings biting into my quilt.

If you want to use magnets, make sure you look for "neodymium" magnets. I think they're also called rare earth magnets. They're much stronger, in fact, be careful if you have one in your hand, because they can jump out of your hand and onto the fridge and pinch your finger webbing in between and give you a blood blister, and then you have to cry because you can't quilt for a day or two, and you have to take solace in a bag of Hershey's kisses, a glass or three of wine, and a rom-com marathon. Or so I've heard.
    Old 02-23-2019, 04:58 AM

I wanted to hang a quilt above my stairway going down to my basement without drilling holes and a lot of fuss getting it centered. I bought these at a quilt show. The quilt is hung placing the command strips that are included and then just three of these small metal plates that have a very strong magnet stuck to them. I inserted a flat metal "stick" (purchased at Home Depot, don't know what they are called, but they come in varying lengths and I taped two together to get the length I needed) in the sleeve and it just snaps to where the magnets are placed on the wall. You can also adjust the quilt to get it straight. There are five in a package. I used three to hang my quilt, but probably could have done it with two. They are $55 for the package of five. I'm very happy with this system. I also used these flat, metal sticks at the bottom of the quilt to weight it down and keep it straight. I also could have used the Command strip poster strips at the bottom to keep it straight. The web site is: https://magnificentquilt.com/collect.../quilt-hangers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]609071[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]609072[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_4355.jpg   img_4697.jpg  
    Old 02-23-2019, 05:01 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I'm a curtain-rod-and-hanging-sleeve girl; I don't like those grippy teeth on curtain rings biting into my quilt.

If you want to use magnets, make sure you look for "neodymium" magnets. I think they're also called rare earth magnets. They're much stronger, in fact, be careful if you have one in your hand, because they can jump out of your hand and onto the fridge and pinch your finger webbing in between and give you a blood blister, and then you have to cry because you can't quilt for a day or two, and you have to take solace in a bag of Hershey's kisses, a glass or three of wine, and a rom-com marathon. Or so I've heard.
    I agree. The teeth bite the fabric and if you can't use enough of them to hold the quilt properly. They will pull at the points of attachment and the result is a distorted edge. I really like the sleeve method to display and preserve the quilt in the best way possible.
    Old 02-23-2019, 05:21 AM

In the past I've done curtain rods...but now have a newly built hse and refuse to put holes in the walls so I strictly use command strips...16lb weight strips hold my heavy quilts fine, no falling or issues. Since they are long strips I cut them in half and use the half w/pull off wall on the wall and I take the other half and stick on back of quilt and then put a pin thru it from the front to make sure it holds. The secret is once in place remove the quilt and let the wall strips adhere over night without the weight of the quilt. I've hung up to 64L x 40W...I do allot of switching out by leaving the wall strips in place and then lay the quilt top I remove on the flr with the new quilt to be hung top to top and take the quilt strips off aligning placement exactly as it is on the removed quilt...Pin to new quilt and Viola have a new quilt hanging and I'm not constantly buying Command Strips...I do that w/all my quilts and I have allot hanging and none have fallen off the walls.
    Old 02-23-2019, 07:37 AM
    Power Poster

I would love to know the brand of your magnetic system crqltr.
    Old 02-23-2019, 08:03 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by pahega
    I wanted to hang a quilt above my stairway going down to my basement without drilling holes and a lot of fuss getting it centered. I bought these at a quilt show. The quilt is hung placing the command strips that are included and then just three of these small metal plates that have a very strong magnet stuck to them. I inserted a flat metal "stick" (purchased at Home Depot, don't know what they are called, but they come in varying lengths and I taped two together to get the length I needed) in the sleeve and it just snaps to where the magnets are placed on the wall. You can also adjust the quilt to get it straight. There are five in a package. I used three to hang my quilt, but probably could have done it with two. They are $55 for the package of five. I'm very happy with this system. I also used these flat, metal sticks at the bottom of the quilt to weight it down and keep it straight. I also could have used the Command strip poster strips at the bottom to keep it straight. The web site is: https://magnificentquilt.com/collect.../quilt-hangers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]609071[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]609072[/ATTACH]
    Thanks for the Magnetic Quilt Hanger website. I’ve bit the bullet and ordered one.
    Joyce
    Old 02-23-2019, 05:12 PM

I have a big problem with hanging quilts using the ring clips and a rod. A sleeve is really easy to add to the back and will provide equal weight all along the rod. The clips don’t provide the proper hanging weight and could very well stretch the borders. I’ve been doing quilting for 40 years come this September and was taught to always provide equal hanging across the whole quilt. In the other hand, a small quilt with c,iOS and rings would be just fine. A large quilt is really heavy and I sure wouldn’t want to damage the edges. Thanks for listening to my humble opinion.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC