Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is The Happy Daisy quilt on your bucket list? >
  • Is The Happy Daisy quilt on your bucket list?

• Is The Happy Daisy quilt on your bucket list?

Old 07-28-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK
    Thanks for the heads up, but I think your quilt would look great if a couple of rogues slipped into the design. Maybe you could embroider a couple of eyes (one winking) on them. BTW, yes I have thought about making that design.
    That's a great idea! My friend would like that. Unfortunately, I've already prepared all of the pieces for two new "lefty" stemmed blocks. But, maybe I'll put one of those rogues in there! It is a cute idea. Thanks!
    Old 07-28-2014, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by FabStripper
    Why can't you just turn the stems and use the back of the fabric for three of the stems? I think that will look really cool.
    I love this quilt. Thank you for the advise. Was this a die cut?
    Yes, I guess I could remove the stems and redo them but those two blocks would never "fit" per my original plan. The solid colored fabric would still be on the left rather than the right. Thanks for the idea though. If I wasn't so anal I would go for that!

They are not die cut. I used templates that I made myself. All fabric edges are turned under so there are no raw edges. I chose to machine applique them with a straight stitch rather than hand applique since I am sure my friend will be washing this light colored quilt alot. I just think that a machine stitched applique will be more durable. (I sure could be wrong though!)
    Old 07-28-2014, 03:23 PM
    Power Poster

Looking good! Your orphans can go onto matching pillowcases or pillows.
    Old 07-28-2014, 04:36 PM

I love this pattern. Hope to make it some day. I would've probably figured the cutting just like you did - so thanks for the warning. Very nice blocks!
    Old 07-29-2014, 01:36 AM

I love this pattern! I made one for my DGD last year. Yours looks good...I had a similar issue laying them out- I think I had my odd-even rows reversed (hadn't taken a photo the first time). I was able to rearrange mine and get it to work. Now I take photos and look at them before assembling. I find it easier to remind myself of what my intentions were and to pick out errors.
    Old 07-29-2014, 04:52 AM

Yes it is. I'm finishing the fine tuning of making the design into a machine embroidery though. The first test block turned out really nice, just a few stitch adjustments. I was so happy with it, it was my first design that I drew and turned it into an embroidery design.
    Old 07-29-2014, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer
    All fabric edges are turned under so there are no raw edges. I chose to machine applique them with a straight stitch rather than hand applique since I am sure my friend will be washing this light colored quilt alot. I just think that a machine stitched applique will be more durable. (I sure could be wrong though!)
    I did the straight stitch embroidery on some die-cut 30s hearts for the same reason, and it's holding up perfectly.

The daisy quilt is indeed on my bucket list, but I thought I'd have to hand-embroider them (not my best event), so thanks for posting yours.

I'm sure I would be thinking there would be 10 of each, as well. Of course, I'm also a person who thought, last year, that a 5x7 set on point would be 35 blocks, so that gives you some idea of my keen spatial skills.

hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 07-29-2014, 11:41 AM

Not on my bucket list, but I do LOVE your quilt!
    Old 07-29-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK
    Thanks for the heads up, but I think your quilt would look great if a couple of rogues slipped into the design. Maybe you could embroider a couple of eyes (one winking) on them. BTW, yes I have thought about making that design.
    I also think a couple of rogue blocks would be great!
    Old 07-29-2014, 03:05 PM

I've also seen quilters that have added spare blocks on the back of the quilt. That always looks nice too!