Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Be Happy you have a good stash. >
  • Be Happy you have a good stash.

• Be Happy you have a good stash.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:19 PM
    Power Poster

I have started using my stash up that is the oldest. Many calicos in mostly floral prints. Many are fat quarters and less in size. I have bought three new style patterns that I think will work great with this type of stash busting. I think as you look at your stash in the new way, it becomes fun to work with. The only fabric I will have to buy is the backgrounds for three of them and of course the backings.
    Old 09-20-2018, 06:07 PM
    Power Poster

I have a stash that will last me two lifetimes. Matter of fact I’ve got to edit it down.
    Old 09-20-2018, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog
    Maybe, just maybe, our textile industry will be revived!
    That would be awesome! More jobs!
    Old 09-21-2018, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle
    Since fabrics have been steadily rising something besides tariffs must be causing it.
    That's a good point, Phyllis. I remember when I had to really think before paying $10 a yard for fabric. Now that's more the norm when I'm fabric shopping.
    Old 09-21-2018, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    That's a good point, Phyllis. I remember when I had to really think before paying $10 a yard for fabric. Now that's more the norm when I'm fabric shopping.
    Even when I arrived in the USA, about 10 years ago, I remember walking into a local quilting store and the fabric was $8 per yard. Last year I went into the same store, after not being in for three years, and they are now pricing the average bolt at $15 per yard. Yikes!
    Old 09-21-2018, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by thrums

I know there was one that was US comapny producing cotton solids, but I cannot remember the name. I've heard there are other small companies in the process of setting up shop.

Can anyone help here?
    JoAnn Fabrics carries a line of American produced solid color quilting cotton. It is a little lighter weight than Kona solids. I prefer the weight as it holds a very crisp fold when pressing, which works well for paper piecing and blocks that have very small pieces. The color shades offered are lovely. I bought a light brown carmel color and needed to go back for more, but the next bolt was not exactly the same shade. I also bought a wonderful coral a couple of years ago, but JoAnn doesn't carry that shade any more. So-- if you want enough for a project, buy enough at the start or you might not be able to match your earlier purchase.
    Old 09-21-2018, 07:31 AM

So glad I have mine. Started when I was working and now retired. Had a friend tell me she felt like she was in JoAnns.

Do not feel a bit bad about that.
    Old 09-21-2018, 07:35 AM

Another note from my friend in Texas...their cotton crop has failed this year, so that might send the cotton fabric to a higher price. We have found gas prices already raising fast since the last tropical storms.

I will continue to buy just what I need to complete quilts, not really picking up 'new' ideas and purchasing for that. Local shops have continued their trend of $7-$8 dollars a yard. Or so my friend who drives distances for me to go places has said. I know Cantril, Iowa, Dutchman's Store has a big tent sale coming up Sep 26-29, 2018, from their free emails. They serve a large Amish settlement in the area and are unique place to see. Someday I hope to travel to the middle of Indiana, and see the fabric shops there.

I think we all watch our fabric budgets, but we all love to quilt and will continue to do so; some of us on a smaller scale due to life that we live.
    Old 09-21-2018, 07:36 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by thrums

I know there was one that was US comapny producing cotton solids, but I cannot remember the name. I've heard there are other small companies in the process of setting up shop.

Can anyone help here?
    American Made Brand by Clothworks. http://www.clothworks.com/AMB It is a line of solids, no prints.

Many retailers carry it. Fat Quarter Shop, Hancocks of Paducah, Fabric.com
    Old 09-21-2018, 07:37 AM

Quilting may end up as a hobby for the wealthy.