Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Be Happy you have a good stash. >
  • Be Happy you have a good stash.

• Be Happy you have a good stash.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by givio
    JoAnn Fabrics carries a line of American produced solid color quilting cotton. It is a little lighter weight than Kona solids. I prefer the weight as it holds a very crisp fold when pressing, which works well for paper piecing and blocks that have very small pieces. The color shades offered are lovely. I bought a light brown carmel color and needed to go back for more, but the next bolt was not exactly the same shade. I also bought a wonderful coral a couple of years ago, but JoAnn doesn't carry that shade any more. So-- if you want enough for a project, buy enough at the start or you might not be able to match your earlier purchase.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
    Old 09-22-2018, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    American Made Brand by Clothworks. http://www.clothworks.com/AMB It is a line of solids, no prints.

Many retailers carry it. Fat Quarter Shop, Hancocks of Paducah, Fabric.com
    That's the brand I was trying to think of. Thanks feline fanatic!

Video about company: https://youtu.be/-NQiAGfH05o

Collections: http://www.clothworks.com/fabric-collection.html Includes prints.

Prices are less than many imports.

Last edited by thrums; 09-22-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    Old 09-22-2018, 08:39 AM

Almost all of the recipients of quilts I make do not go to fabric stores so they have no idea if a fabric is "outdated" or not.

I took about 45 quilts to the family reunion, and most had older fabrics in them. Did not hear "would be nice if it had modern fabrics" once.

One of the local fabrics shops has been going out of business this summer. I bought some at 25% off, more and 50% off and when they hit 75% off I bought over $1,000 worth, including a lot of backing fabric. I don't think any of the last group was "modern" fabric but that does not bother me in the least.
    Old 09-22-2018, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
    Don't count on that. Setting up a fabric manufacturing factory is expensive. Haven't done research, but I don't think much cotton is grown in the US now, so cotton fabric might have to be imported as well.

My over large stash looks good now.
    Setting up the mills to make fabric would be expensive, but I wish it would happen because it would create jobs!

There is still a Lot of cotton grown here in the States. I live in Arizona and you should see the huge bales sitting in the fields ready to be picked up! That time of year, there is so much flying around in the air during picking time, it looks like it is snowing...just too hot for it to really be snow!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-23-2018 at 04:41 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 09-22-2018, 03:21 PM

I think quilters will use their stashes, or go back to the way our grandmothers did things....I love to find cotton clothing at the thrift store/yard sales and use it in my quilting. I also use a lot of vintage sheet fabric. I have more reclaimed fabric than new yardage. I mix reclaimed with new and have never had an issue. Finding interesting batik blouses and reusing that fabric is so cool! Most of my backings are used sheets, daughter loves them because they are so soft.
    Old 09-22-2018, 03:26 PM

One more post for those of you in Arizona or visiting anytime soon. SAS Fabrics carries discontinued name brand quilting fabrics starting at $4/yard. They have a range of fabrics from cheap JoAnn's/Hobby Lobby/Marshall's on up to Robert Kauffman, RJR, Moda, Tula Pink (more expensive). I go for the high quality fabrics on the $4 tables and have purchased many yards from there. It is a warehouse-type store, so none of the frills of the LQS, but that's okay with me! There are 3 locations in the Phoenix area and 1 in Tucson. I hear from other quilters here that the Tucson location is the best, but I have yet to find out. They have home dec fabric, bridal, costume fabric, and leather as well.
    Old 09-22-2018, 03:33 PM
    Power Poster

Made me curious. We moved to Georgia wheee there are a lot of closed mills
    https://www.cotton.org/pubs/cottonco...tory/where.cfm
    Old 09-23-2018, 05:19 AM

Having a stash is a Quilty pleasure.....
    Old 09-23-2018, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    I went to a blowout sale at an LQS this morning and they had many many bolts on tables that were $6/yd... very lovely and maybe only last year's lines.
    that's very generous of the owner! we unfortunately lost a local fabric shop this past year and nothing was on sale even in liquidation, everything was full price because the owner couldn't afford to let it go for sale, he lost a ton of money on the business. I wish he'd had an online business presence, I've noticed that most of our local shops that thrive do a lot of online sales, I buy online quite frequently as well as local, my favorite online shop is a local mom and pop, they just aren't local to me, they are in another state.
    Old 09-23-2018, 06:51 AM

I have bins and bins of stash so guess I will just go shopping at home!! I have thought the price of good quality fabrics have been pretty expensive lately anyway. I feel bad for the quilt shops that need to keep their inventory up. I think more and more quilters will be shopping in their stash.