Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Harbor Freight blades >
  • Harbor Freight blades

• Harbor Freight blades

Old 08-29-2010, 05:41 PM

Do people realize how much quilters do for others?
    Old 08-29-2010, 06:21 PM
    Bev

Originally Posted by goaf1968
    The automatic ordering/refill process doesn't count on sales spikes as a means to increase prices unless it is happening with regularity. It does, however, put a merchant on notice that there is an increased demand for a product(s) and that could lead to an increase in what is ordered. Pipeline (orders from a manufacturer) prices can fluctuate daily if it were a commodity product (say, like lumber), but metal blades - probably made of recycled metal - wouldn't move much, if at all, as they are ordered by large quantities. Every business loves a "run" on an item(s) but they are also cautious to not over-order because of it, especially in the last quarter of their business year. If you think about it, the many blades you are buying now are going to last you a long time. Also, if you have one of those circular hand-held re-sharpeners you will have blades for a loooong time. I just bought 20 packs for my wife and she responded with "I have enough blades now to cut fabric until I'm 140 years old!" She is 51. As for the carpet cutting handle, skip it unless the only way you can get blades ' cause you are out is to buy one. It is strictly for cutting carpet.

Terry -- in Northern Delaware
    Thanks Terry, for your patient explanation. It makes sense.
    This crazy "run" of ours will probably not last for too long a time. Those of us who have stocked up won't need anymore blades for quite a while. Then the blade business at HR will return to normal.

:-D
    Old 08-30-2010, 07:14 AM

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth on HF blades. I bought 6 packages the other day at the store an hour away from me. I noticed on the shelf they were advertised at $1.50 for package of 2. So I bought 6 thinking that would get me through the next two years. I paid and told the guy that I left 2 on the shelf. When I got home, I looked at my receipt and noticed that they rang up as $1.99 instead of $1.50. It is my fault for chatting at the register and not paying atention to the actual price on the receipt before I signed. Just wanted to let you know so you won't make the same mistake. I tried one and it seems just as good as the high priced one I bought in fabric store some time ago. I see they are both manufactured in China so probably come from the same source-in my opinion.
    Old 08-30-2010, 07:39 AM

It sounds like some of you are starting to use the blades, let us know how they last. I have yet to get to HF, want to get a couple packages for a friend also. She wants to buy in bulk too, she lives in a rural area, and has no HF. But if they aren't going to hold a edge, they aren't worth it. I bought a package of off brand, and the first time I cut it was dull. I have a sharpner also and it won't even help the dullness let alone sharpen. Thanks.

Rita
    Old 08-30-2010, 08:45 AM
    Bev

Originally Posted by quiltingmimipj
    Do people realize how much quilters do for others?
    "No"

8-)
    Old 08-30-2010, 09:19 AM

I've been using my HF blade over 2 weeks and it's still going strong. It doesn't hesitate to cut thru 4 layers!!
    Old 09-01-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by sandybeach
    Could someone send me the link to the blades at Harbor Freight. I went in to the store last Sunday and the employees all thought I was out of my mind. Also, I can't seem to find them on their web site.

Thanks, Sandy
    Yes, I went today with DH and the men in the store were oh, so helpful, but couldn't understand what I was talking about. They looked at me like I was out of my mind. Ha!
    My DH being there to vouch for me helped as men tend to believe other men rather than a poor wilting seamstress. :)
    Old 09-01-2010, 06:45 PM

In our local store, the blades are in the carpet cutting section along with the tool that uses the round blades. Try that and I bet you can find it.
    Old 09-01-2010, 07:02 PM
    Bev

[quote/]Yes, I went today with DH and the men in the store were oh, so helpful, but couldn't understand what I was talking about. They looked at me like I was out of my mind. Ha!
    My DH being there to vouch for me helped as men tend to believe other men rather than a poor wilting seamstress. :)[/quote]

Just tell them you are looking for replacement blades for a carpet cutter. You need to speak their language. They don't understand "quiltese".

8-)
    Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bev
    [quote/]Yes, I went today with DH and the men in the store were oh, so helpful, but couldn't understand what I was talking about. They looked at me like I was out of my mind. Ha!
    My DH being there to vouch for me helped as men tend to believe other men rather than a poor wilting seamstress. :)
    Just tell them you are looking for replacement blades for a carpet cutter. You need to speak their language. They don't understand "quiltese".

8-)[/quote]

I Love it "quiltese". Who knew I spoke another language..
    I'm bilingual now... COOL!!! :mrgreen:
    :XD: