Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hard to use stash, never right blend of colors, designs on fabric yadd yadda >
  • Hard to use stash, never right blend of colors, designs on fabric yadd yadda

• Hard to use stash, never right blend of colors, designs on fabric yadd yadda

Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I've done "scrappy" quilts with odds-and-ends doing just nine-patches, with say five squares of the same print and four of the same solid (any color that matches). Then joined the blocks together with no sashing. I just randomize the placement of the blocks so that the colors are all mixed up.

To my eyes there's some "method" to the madness and the result looks acceptable, and yet the colors in the blocks don't have to be related to each other, as long as they are harmonious within each block.

I've done several this way with 12 blocks, each using fabrics that pertain to one month of the year. Kinda liked the effect.
    Old 01-28-2011, 10:08 AM

I agree with the idea kids do not care what they get. the young ones are just glad to have a BINKIE!!!!! lol I had one many years ago(not telling how long ago) LOL
    Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by QM
    Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    When I buy fabric on sale or clearance I opt for yardage of the blender colors, tone on tone, and neutrals. I buy fat quarters and pre cuts of the pretty prints/colors to use as the focal parts of a pattern.
    Me too.
    Yep, me three. Way more blenders, tone on tones and neutrals than anything in my stash. I can almost always find *something* to go with my plan...

I will only usually buy yardage of colourful prints when I have a project planned (or, lets face it, if I "can't live without it" lol)
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

I have very few neutrals. Recently, I have been working on increasing the number of 'reads as solid' fabrics, since my inclination is to buy busy prints.

A couple of years ago, I was given a sample packet of Sunflower fabrics. Many of these I would never have bought on my own. I think I put it to good use, however. I don't seem to have a picture of the finished quilt, only the flimsy.

Sunflower patches
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]134432[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-134427.jpe