Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hardest/scariest/most learned from project ever done?? >
  • Hardest/scariest/most learned from project ever done??

• Hardest/scariest/most learned from project ever done??

Old 01-24-2009, 12:37 PM

I was going to add my eternal gratitude to the member who posted the tutorial on employing used dryer sheets for applique - but I checked my bookmark, and the topic is "gone" so I don't know what happened or who to thank. I'm sorry this one is gone, because I was using it. :cry:
    Old 01-24-2009, 12:42 PM

Nothing specific comes to mind, but one of the things I think is so neat about quilting is that I really DO learn something new with every quilt I make. Do others feel the same? Or am I just a slow learner?
    Old 01-24-2009, 03:26 PM

Coping strips...I can't find the newsletter which is irksome as I thought I saved it.

Basically, in my QFH, I am making strips that will end up going diagonally across the quilt. All of the pieces are supposed to be 5 1/2 inches square. Well, the corners of all my flying geese are 5 1/2 inches apart, but the sides are horrible. Of course, I didn't realize that until AFTER I started to sew the rows together.

Well, my rows instead of all being even like this ____________ they look a bit more like this l___________l there is definitely something amiss. Coping strips are small strips of fabric that you make and then sew to the uneven edge so it makes it all even like this _________. If I square all of my pieces DOWN, then I've cut off all the tips of the triangles and the SIAS units would look horrible. With coping strips, it's a bit more work, but it means I don't have to cut all of my pieces down. I can shove these fabric strips in the uneven spots and see if I can selvage it that way. I don't how it will affect the overall pattern yet, but I really don't care anymore. If I can ever finish the stupid thing, I'll tie tack it and since I promised hubby when I started I wouldn't give it away, it'll go on the bottom of the stack of quilts. I hope it never sees the light of day again.

I hope that made a little sense. I'm going to keep trying to find the newsletter.
    Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 AM

omg!! Shelley, your daughters graduation quilt is really gorgeous!!! You really did a great job.
    froggy
    Old 01-25-2009, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kara
    What is the hardest, or scariest, project you have every done? (maybe it was scary at the time)
    Even started (and didn't finish for various reasons - is it a UFO?)?
    It may even be one you learned the most from or advanced your skills.
    I can honestly say the hardest or scariest project for me is yet to be made...probably still hiding in one of my quilting magazines waiting to be created. lol.
    Half square triangles are nightmares for me...I cringe just thinking about them not matching up.
    Old 01-26-2009, 05:26 PM
    Power Poster

Calico92402 wrote:
    Nothing specific comes to mind, but one of the things I think is so neat about quilting is that I really DO learn something new with every quilt I make. Do others feel the same? Or am I just a slow learner?

well, there are 3 lanes on the interstate and the outside one is referred to as the 'slow' lane...that's where i am and calico, if you are there, then I figure i am in good company, lol! :wink:
    I have more than a few chronic disorders that make me stiff and in lol, - chronic, pain, so slow is all I know, but give up...nope, nada, not until I can't do it at all. :D