Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Has anyone dyed their own quilting fabric? >
  • Has anyone dyed their own quilting fabric?

• Has anyone dyed their own quilting fabric?

Old 07-25-2010, 01:53 PM

This is an interesting thread for me. This is something I really want to do. I spent a long time yesterday afternoon talking with a lady who was selling hand dyed fabrics. She has a background as an artist and was very helpful and informative. She said she likes to use Dye-Na-Flow which is a textile paint that simulates a dye. She usually sprays the fabric with two or three colors and then squishes it up to create different designs. She said she then heat sets the color with an iron and then washes the fabric and has no bleeding or color loss.

I came home from talking with her and googled Dye-Na-Flow to see how expensive it is to get started. I found you can buy a starter kit at Amazon for around $10 with 9 colors in it (very small bottles, but enough to try it I think). My plan is to cut some fat quarters of white and try a few different colors to see how they turn out.

I'm attaching a picture of a piece I bought from her that I just love. I'm sorry it hasn't been ironed yet, but I still thought you might like to see it.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-71057.jpe  
    Old 07-25-2010, 02:33 PM

I love hand dyeing my fabrics, the pile on the ironing board was my very first day ever of dyeing, I was hooked!! :thumbup:

Pye inspecting the geadation of teal
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]71066[/ATTACH]

pastels
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]71067[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-71060.jpe   attachment-71061.jpe   attachment-71062.jpe  
    Old 07-25-2010, 04:17 PM

Lots of great info and inspiration. I've always wanted to try this but haven't. Maybe now I will. Thanks everyone :thumbup:
    Old 07-26-2010, 05:25 AM
    Power Poster

i took a dyeing class on saturday and dyed 6 yards of fabrics...it was wonderful! i have dyed fabrics in the past but was pretty much out of supplies so thought i'd take a class less expensively than restocking. i will have to snap pics of my newest creations ;)
    i have decided i have to get back into this but i'm going to start restocking slowly and look for some items at the yard sales this summer. it is such a 'messy' process i think i want to buy one of those big deep utility sinks that i can put a bucket under the drain to catch water and hook a hose up to the faucet so i can set up dying tables and have everything i need outside...which means my goal is to be ready by next spring... i learned some pretty fun techniques at the class if you can find a class i really recommend taking one :)
    Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 AM
    Power Poster

Oh, leaha, BEAUTIFUL fabrics and beautiful cat, too!
    Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 AM

thank you she is my darling, and I have so much fun dyeing, just great day to play with colors!