Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Has anyone else ever done anything like this? >
  • Has anyone else ever done anything like this?

• Has anyone else ever done anything like this?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:55 PM

I had a lady in one of my classes early on (right after rotary cutters came out) she nicked her finger but didn't say anything, just put her hand under the table, by the time I found out about it, she had a puddle on the floor. Got the first aid kit and bandaged her up, then had to clean up the mess. Ah we live and learn. Ever since that I stress. "Make sure you know where your fingers are before you cut!" Was at the LQS yesterday and a lady was purchasing a kit to do (her first quilt) Was asked about rotary cutters etc, so told her what I use and why and also "be sure you know where your fingers are. Hope she heard me. But she is a nurse, so would know what to do if she does cut her fingers.
    Old 07-18-2010, 03:41 PM
    Power Poster

yes I had done something similar.
    Old 07-18-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by BarbaraTX
    My second quilting project was a Christmas table runner - 3 blocks on point, pointed ends. When I finished the binding, one of the points was wonky, so I took it apart to fix it. While cutting some of the binding straight (while it was still attached on the front side), my rotary cutter jumped the ruler and I cut my finger. It was a fairly new blade and the cut was deep. My first thought was, Oh goodness, please don't let me bleed all over my table runner - I've put too much time into it. Fortunately, I didn't. That was in 1993, and I put that runner out every Christmas. Makes me smile everytime I see it.
    Yep have been there as well, now I have purchased a safety cutter so hopefully no more cuts
    Old 07-18-2010, 04:03 PM

I was taking a quilting class early on and cut my finger pretty badly with the rotary cutter. My friend and I went into the ladies room and I had her bandage it very tightly to stop the bleeding. She wanted to take me to the hospital, but I told her I didn't want to miss the class. It turned out all right.
    Old 07-18-2010, 04:20 PM

I cut my finger a couple years ago. Had the corner off the ruler and didn't realize it until ouch!! Didn't think I'd get it to stop bleeding. Thankfully it did b/c DH wasn't home and I had a glass of wine or two and couldn't drive myself to Hospital.

I am glad that you were ok and didn't bleed on the runner!

Kyia
    Old 07-18-2010, 05:21 PM

Been doing this for about a year, and had never cut myself with the rotary cutter ... then twice in the last week!!!! Good thing is, the cuts are very sharp and therefore seem to heal very quickly!
    Old 07-18-2010, 05:36 PM

Olipfa makes guards for the long rulers
    i also use the handi grippers, but i get them at harbor freight rather than at quilt stores
    Old 07-18-2010, 05:50 PM

Keep a bottle of "New-Skin" handy. It makes a liquid bandage over cuts, and you can go right back to sewing afterwards. It also helps the cut heal VERY quickly.

It does sting ... sometimes you want to run in place and scream like a little girl! LOL! ... but the stinging stops after a minute or two. :mrgreen:
    Old 07-18-2010, 05:55 PM

unfortunately i did it thursday at bee, was cutting sashing, had finished and had not retracted the blade and it just barely touched the top of my left pointing finger
    as i went to lay the sash down, and just the touch sliced
    into the finger, no blood on lite green fabric-lol. but bandaid was needed for a few days. if you go to the ER, take the blade so they can relate to the sharpness-LOL
    Old 07-18-2010, 05:57 PM

i too have cut myself with a rotary cutter. blade just went right over the ruler and got the side of finger and part of the nail. got it to quit bleeding and put a bandage on it. the next day at work (i work at a bank) i couldn't count money to save my life!