Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Has anyone else had problems with them. >
  • Has anyone else had problems with them.

• Has anyone else had problems with them.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 PM

There is another thread going about this same shop:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-91574-1.htm
    Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 PM

Just a hint. If it's possible, never pay a merchant or ebay seller with your paypal balance or from your connected bank account. If there's a problem and you use your balance, you can only rely on paypal to fix it. With a credit card, if paypal doesn't help you, you can turn to your credit card company. I do understand that some don't want to give paypal your credit card info though and in that case you don't have a choice.

Apparently, in your case, the store had to accept your payment (which is a setting in their paypal account) and they did not, so the money was returned to you. Which is lucky for you.
    Old 02-04-2011, 03:37 AM
    Administrator

as most of you know, we normally discourage "by-name" complaints about merchants that don't include both sides of the story.

this case seems to be quite different. several members have reported the same problems:

-accounts charged but items apparently not shipped
    -no response to phone calls or emails
    -a month or more gone by without the item or an explanation

in the other topic, at least one member reported having received notice of a serious illness having put the merchant "out of the game" for a while.

normally, i'd encourage patience and compassion for the recovering merchant. but, the merchant should have - as a minimum - put somebody in charge of maintaining communication with the worried customers; cancelling orders and refunding payments if there's no possibility those orders can be filled very soon, or some similar customer service.

any who are also in this situation with this vendor should consider all their options, take into account any time limits set by paypal or their banks, and take the action that will protect your financial interests.
    Old 02-04-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by gale
    Just a hint. If it's possible, never pay a merchant or ebay seller with your paypal balance or from your connected bank account. If there's a problem and you use your balance, you can only rely on paypal to fix it. With a credit card, if paypal doesn't help you, you can turn to your credit card company. I do understand that some don't want to give paypal your credit card info though and in that case you don't have a choice.

. . .
    I have found Paypal excellent in dealing with incidents such as this. They too have a grievance procedure between seller and purchaser. Works great - I have gotten $$ back twice for things either not as advertised or not received. Both times the "seller" ignored my contacts. It is not as instantaneous as AmEx or MC but does work.
    Old 02-04-2011, 01:43 PM

I don't doubt that some people have good luck with paypal. However, I frequent a shopping board where there are a lot of sellers and buyers and there are a lot of people, way too many imo, that have been hosed by paypal. I know someone who bought something and received a box full of paper trash and because the seller had a delivery confirmation number, paypal ruled in their favor. I've seen other similar stories too. I don't take chances, personally.
    Old 02-05-2011, 01:51 AM
    Administrator

... a lot of people, way too many imo, that have been hosed by paypal. I know someone who bought something and received a box full of paper trash and because the seller had a delivery confirmation number, paypal ruled in their favor. I've seen other similar stories too. I don't take chances, personally.
    that buyer was not hosed by PayPal. she/he was hosed by the thief who took the money and shipped the trash.

even a company as huge as PayPal doesn't have the resources to send representatives who can watch as the sellers pack and/or observe as the buyers unpack.
    Old 02-05-2011, 06:15 AM

I never pay with paypal through my bank account. I had a situation where I bought an item on ebay and I was sent the wrong color, and wanted a switch. They made me pay for shipping to return the product, even though the seller sent the wrong item. I fund through amex, which invariably is buyer friendly. My husband is an internet seller-Amex even sides with the buyer when a buyer states they never received a product, even if the USPS provides delivery confirmation. Without a signature verification, Amex believes the buyer.
    Old 02-05-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    ... a lot of people, way too many imo, that have been hosed by paypal. I know someone who bought something and received a box full of paper trash and because the seller had a delivery confirmation number, paypal ruled in their favor. I've seen other similar stories too. I don't take chances, personally.
    that buyer was not hosed by PayPal. she/he was hosed by the thief who took the money and shipped the trash.
    That was just one example. I know of many who WERE hosed by paypal and if they had used their credit card, they could have taken it up with them instead.