Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Has Anyone Ever Used One of These? >
  • Has Anyone Ever Used One of These?

• Has Anyone Ever Used One of These?

Old 03-12-2013, 02:44 PM
    Power Poster

I was thinking of getting one of these for small quilts so as not to load my LA. I just watched a tutorial on setting it up and IMHO, it takes a lot of work to get it right. Easier to load the LA. For some people it may be perfect. Don't get discouraged. It will take time and patience to learn it just like a LA but smaller.

As for the 45" wide limit you can buy longer poles to use with the system for wider quilts. I have seen it done. The package is like a starter kit and has the 45" poles as a matter of shipping restrictions. It is enough to get you started and practicing.

I do not own or sell or belong to any part of this company. The info is just stuff I have seen at shows and on line.

Last edited by ube quilting; 03-12-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 PM

I had one, but didn't work out. Yes, you could get longer poles for larger quilts, so why not (if you could afford it), see about maybe getting a used frame?
    Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 AM
    Power Poster

If the general system works for you , you can always quilt in sections and then join using a QAYG technique.
    Old 03-13-2013, 06:05 AM
    Power Poster

I have not used one but John Flynn has a demo on it and it looks really neat!!!
    Old 03-13-2013, 06:08 AM

Do a search on here for John Flynn Frame. You will get many threads about users experience. I passed mine on a long time ago.
    Old 03-14-2013, 03:33 AM
    Power Poster

I also found if you go to the web site http://www.flynnquilt.com/ they have a wonderful 30 minute video of the use of the frame. I have found it to be very interesting.
    Old 03-14-2013, 03:39 AM

I don't have one, but it won't do a large quilt, at least I don't think it will. I have done a few large ones on my domestic machine, I just scrunch or wad the quilt up, have a large table area to do that. I did one on a small throat area and then I ended up buying one with a 11 inch throat, that makes all the difference in the world.
    Old 03-14-2013, 03:44 AM
    Power Poster

For the money, I would pass. It looks like something that a crafty DH could create
    Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 AM

IM a Kentucky gal in Shepherdsville
    Old 03-14-2013, 03:49 AM

I do the same, accordion, not rolled and I spray baste, no pins and have never had a problem with wrinkles or it comming a part...and the table on the left side makes a huge difference. I use to have table behind my sewing machine also. I need to get another one, it really did make a difference I was trying to save room in my small sewing room, but its easier with the table. I will invest in a folding table so that I can put it away when not in use. [QUOTE=ranger;5924134]
    Originally Posted by Prism99
    Just as an aside, it's easier to loosely accordion fold the quilt under the machine arm than to roll it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I agree with Prism. I've wrestled a lot of large quilts through my DSM. I have found that rolling the quilt up never works for me. I just keep it pleated like a loose accordian fold. I also keep a table to my left to take the weight of the part of the quilt that isn't under the machine. It does involve wrestling the quilt around...my upper arms get tired and I sometimes turn the air blue but I get it done.