Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Has anyone ever wanted to (seriously) reduce their stash? >
  • Has anyone ever wanted to (seriously) reduce their stash?

• Has anyone ever wanted to (seriously) reduce their stash?

Old 04-13-2010, 05:59 PM

I don't think any of us really want to reduce our stashes. When I wanted a new closet system to hold all of my fabrics my son said he would do it only if I DOWNSIZED 10%. I thought 'you've got to be kidding!' So as I was putting it back on the new shelves I started to look at it in a whole new light and pulled out lots of stuff including fabrics, unfinished projects and extra supplies. I looked at the pile and was surprised how much I could part with. So I had a party inviting my friends to bring their unwanted stuff. They had a ball exchanging and hauling away my stuff. I was thrilled to have it all go to wanted home and we had a great time just being together.
    Old 04-13-2010, 06:12 PM

I am currently seriously reducing my stash. All I buy are battings and backing and only when they are on sale. I do have the most wonderful quilting friend. If there is a fabric I am need of I swap her a fabric in my stash for something in her stash. It helps us both out.
    Old 04-13-2010, 06:17 PM

Gosh I've never had enough of a stash to wonder about reducing. I've got one of those "men" who thinks its a waste of money to buy fabric! I rarely buy more then the project calls for and I buy for a month or more...little at a time to get that. Talk about anticipation for a project!
    Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 PM
    Banned

I do not have a stach to reduce :? . Penny
    Old 04-13-2010, 11:58 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by ann clare
    Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    As in... while most of us are still "collecting"... has anyone here ever wanted to do the reverse, and un-collect, or part with their fabrics?

If so, what do you think caused your change of mind?
    Yes because a lot of my fabric is dated and I feel guilty buying more. I have some of my fabric for 10 years. I know that if I have not used it by now I will never use it. Now please help with ideas to un-collect
    You could always donate to quilters like me who don't have money to buy. I am disabled and have no income, as I am still waiting to here from SSS. but there are a lot of people like me on this board. Penny
    Old 04-14-2010, 03:36 AM

No, I get such inspiration everytime I go down my hallway and see my folded fabrcis. About a year ago my husband built me a beautiful fabric shelf (bookshelf for fabrics) with five shelves. It isn't very deep so the fabrics sit out near the end of each shelf so I can see them. I only have a couple ugly fabrics so that helps also.
    Old 04-14-2010, 03:49 AM

Last year, I gave a lot of my fabric away because I knew I would never be able to use it in my lifetime. I still have a lot but have only purchased items like stablizers, etc.
    Serita
    Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 AM

Funny that I came across this thread. I'm trying to deplete my stash. Planning on downsizing in about a year and not sure how large of a place we will have. So since I'm working, I'm making quilts for a lot of coworkers. Someone going thru a hard time, they get a quilt. New baby...quilt. I like you a lot...quilt. Usually don't have to buy much fab since most of the patterns are scrappy.

All of my fab is in 66 gal plastic containers and I have 16. Three are scraps so really need to go thru those and toss pieces that are too small.

Goal is to get rid of this stash and ony buy for projects I want to make. Now is the goal reasonable. Nope. But it is fun to see faces on people when they get a quilt!
    Old 04-14-2010, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by nanamo
    i am making 3 crazy quits and need scraps.if anybody wants to get rid of there scraps i pay poastage.they have to be at least 7inches or bigger.
    That's a great idea! I will keep your name and when I have a pile I will send it to you.

One of my sewing instructors has a box she invites people to donate any scraps for a little old lady who makes exquisite things with it.

It is wonderful to have someone to give to instead of throwing it out. We quilters, or at least me, always thinks... 'well, it is still useful and a waste to throw it out'

:lol:
    Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 AM

Hi:

That is a job I am attempting currently. Hardest job I ever had. I'm ending up cutting much of it into squares. I use squares for everything.