Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Has anyone looked in your sewing room and gasped at the mess? >
  • Has anyone looked in your sewing room and gasped at the mess?

• Has anyone looked in your sewing room and gasped at the mess?

Old 02-23-2011, 05:20 PM

My 4 year old granddaughter went in it the other day and looked around and said "Hmmm, it looks like it is almost done". I recently painted and put in new floor. Little does she know, but it doesn't get any more done!
    Old 02-23-2011, 05:21 PM

Honey, just do not worry about it!
    For the longest time I have been BEGGIN my friends and family to help me get organized, since this is NOT my best way.
    I really do know where whatever I do need is, and if and when I get that bug up my a$$ to go in that room and organize, it will happen. It actually did happen a couple of weeks ago! I can now walk into the room!
    So, take your time, and when you are ready, you will have your room the way you want it to be!
    Old 02-23-2011, 05:35 PM

Kind of reminds me of the time my new husband brought home for dinner a new guy who had come to work for him and whose family hadn't come yet. It was the week before Valentine's Day and every surface was covered with cut-outs, lacey things, cooling cookies, dirty mixing bowls ...... you get the idea. And, I might add, 3 kids who couldn't stop showing their new, wonderful Daddy what they had and for which grandparents or friend to which it would be going. Both men stood at the door, absolutely speechless. We went out to dinner that night. AND he has never brought someone home again w/o checking first! Ahhhh, wonderful memories of 40 years ago!!!!
    Old 02-23-2011, 05:45 PM

My sewing room is my idea of what heaven should look like, and if some one dares to make a comment about it they are shown the door , I have te opinion if it makes me happy thats all that matters. Cathy
    Old 02-23-2011, 05:49 PM

"if momma's creating the best thing to do is duck to avoid flying fabric."

I love it. Yes a sewing room is a studio. Do people gasp at paint drops in a painter's studio?? Is it possible to create neatly? And who cares? :mrgreen:
    Old 02-23-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by puck116
    My sister and I are opposites. She made a comment about how messy my sewing room was. (and I thought it was rather neat) I have to take her comments with a grain of salt.
    Once we arrived at their ski condo a day before they did. I had been reading by the lamp beside the couch. I had tilted the shade to get better light. One of the first things she did was go over and correct the shade when she arrived. Oh well. We live in different states. Isn't that a good thing.
    I have the same with my sister, luckily we are on opposite sides of the planet and she only invites her self to come stay every couple of years. By the time she due, I hope to have found my dining table. :)
    Old 02-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by helbo
    My sewing room is like my church. It's very special to me and off limits to casual visitors. Mostly because I have pieces I'm working on and do NOT want any comments until I'm ready to show my work. My DH brought my SIL in to see my room, I heard her gasp, like the people do when they see hoarders. I was in the middle of a project and you really could not walk in the room. My DH was trying to show off my work so he gets a pass, but I asked him to please never show my craft room again. I was at a loss for words when I heard the gasp of horror...She does not do crafts, so no messes at her house. I do clean up and put away once I'm done with a project (okay, sometimes I do). I guess the best attitude is if momma's creating the best thing to do is duck to avoid flying fabric.
    My daughter once told me "Mom, I'm afraid to go in your sewing room". Ha - I got a good laugh from that. I just said "Yeah, sometimes it scares me too".
    Old 02-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Yeah, my family is use to it, but the basement is off limits to everyone, its my room, my house and most importantly my stuff, and they better leave it alone.
    Old 02-23-2011, 06:30 PM

It's to hard to work if every things is hiding.
    Old 02-23-2011, 06:30 PM

My sewing room is in the process of being remodeled and is a mess. I used to store my fabric in that room but many many people made a lot of comments about what a mess it was. It is actually what used to be the living room of our house and there are no doors to close. I moved the fabric into a spare bedroom when the painting and new flooring was done in there and that door stays shut so I don't have to listen to the comments anymore!