Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • has anyone taken apart a panel? >
  • has anyone taken apart a panel?

• has anyone taken apart a panel?

Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 AM

Default has anyone taken apart a panel?

I am talking about the pre quilted panels that you just an binding to? I am wanting to make my nephew a Thomas the train quilet for his birthday. I really love the panel but was only able to find ONE on etsy for 24.99 +(shipping). However I found someone locally selling the same panel pre quilted for 8.00. Could I just remove the quilting, use the fabric panel and then the needle holes will heal themselves in the wash? Or am I'm just pipe dreaming?
    Old 08-18-2014, 07:47 AM

sounds ez until you spend time doing it! I considered doing that before, but looking at the thread used & guessing at the tension applied, you may be better off just using it that way!!! don't think it's worth all that trouble -- but good luck~!~~can't you just add binding to the quilted one?
    Old 08-18-2014, 07:57 AM

I did that with a prequilted Raggedy Ann yardage. I removed the stitching so I could hand quilt as I wanted for a lap quilt. Binding as I liked and also outside border. It wasn't that difficult, and I loved the finished project.
    Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 AM

Yes I could, however he will be 4 in January. A quit that is 36x44 would not be large enough for him. He has always gotten rather large quilts from me. He's a blanket hog. If all else fails he will get Curious George instead.
    Old 08-18-2014, 08:14 AM

I think I am going to get it, for 8 bucks is worth a try. I think George will be our backup. Lol thanks for letting me know it worked for you.
    Old 08-18-2014, 08:28 AM
    dd

My sister did this. She bought pre-quilted Christmas stocking panel and removed their quilting so she could do her own.
    Old 08-18-2014, 09:40 AM

For $8 I would take the risk. I read somewhere as a tip to use an electric toothbrush and a little water to take needle holes out of fabric. I haven't tried it but if you could find an inexpensive battery toothbrush it might be worth a try.
    Old 08-18-2014, 10:25 AM

I used the pre-quilted as a center panel, added batting and backing with a wide border and enlarged the size to what I needed. Sort of a quilt-as-you-go procedure. Added sides by sandwiching the batting and back to the back of the pre-quilted panel, placed the top border right sides together and stitched them on. FOlded them out and then did the top and bottom the same way. Loved it!
    Old 08-18-2014, 10:26 AM
    Power Poster

It depends on the quilting. If it is that large (kind of chicken wire) patterned quilting done on pre-quilted fabric, then yes I have removed it to use the fabric. The stitches are fairly large and easy to get out. The pre-quilted fabric was the perfect colour for a quilt I was working on so it gave up it's life for a good cause. If it was machine quilted on a domestic sewing machine it will be harder to remove but for $8 bucks, go for it!
    Old 08-18-2014, 10:57 AM

I often have made one panel into a twin sized quilt. These are all charity quilts and were extremely popular!!!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]488134[/ATTACH] or [ATTACH=CONFIG]488135[/ATTACH] or [ATTACH=CONFIG]488136[/ATTACH] or [ATTACH=CONFIG]488137[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]488138[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 15-batman.jpg   86-2013.jpg   47-2013.jpg   75-2013.jpg