Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Has anyone used the Grid Glider >
  • Has anyone used the Grid Glider

• Has anyone used the Grid Glider

Old 12-18-2020, 07:31 AM

Same thing here zennia. I am going to pass on this one.
    Old 12-19-2020, 02:54 AM

I have one and love it, but my straight stitch machine is an industrial Juki and I can load the bobbin from the bottom. So I only need to take it off for cleaning. My machine mounts into a table, and the slider covers all the "joins" and creates a smooth surface, so I never have problems of points or seams flipping the wrong way because they snagged on a join between the different surfaces of the machine. I love having the marks, I never draw lines on anything anymore, just line it up with the marks and sew.

I own an LA, so I've never used it for FMQ, just regular sewing.

I had a similar item with my Juki2010, and I cut the opening big enough so I could change the bobbin without removing it. That product was a bit stiffer and needed to be taped in place. I don't think that type is being made anymore, so went with the grid glider. With that machine, the needle plate stuck out high enough that I was having a lot of problems with fabric getting caught on it and sometimes flipping. Was a drag with paper piecing when your bottom piece gets folded over on you as you are sewing. Never happens with the slider in place.
    Old 12-26-2020, 03:52 AM

Default Grid Glider

I'm not all that experienced as a quilter and I have much to learn and improve on so not sure how valued my input will be. I had to look up the grid glider and watch a video on its purpose. To achieve good 1/4" seams, I don't think it would help me. What has helped me immensely is a little gadget called the Ideal Seam Guide. I know I saw the gadget on the Quilt Show but can't remember where I heard the tip about moving your needle to the right so that your fabric is over the feed dog so that it pulls evenly and stays true. I move my needle as far right as it can go, use the ideal seam guide measuring tool to measure my 1/4" and then place the plastic piece on my machine (it sticks) and use that as my guide. Prior to using this, my blocks might look beautiful but just didn't fit together because my 1/4" had strayed. I did try every $35 or $40 dollar 1/4" foot that Viking sells and they never made a difference. This is my first quilt since finding this little miracle plastic and it is just a small baby quilt but everything just fit like a charm and I didn't have to tear out not one seam. I'm showing the front too cause it was so darn cute. My daughter designed the fabric and we had printed in one image and yardage for the quilt at Spoonflower. Sorry, my lighting isn't great. We were ready to wrap this up to give and I thought that didn't take a picture yet.
    Attached Thumbnails img_20201206_125039490.jpg   img_20201206_125027246.jpg