Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Has anyone used Quilters Dream woo battingl? Question about shrinkage >
  • Has anyone used Quilters Dream woo battingl? Question about shrinkage

• Has anyone used Quilters Dream woo battingl? Question about shrinkage

Old 04-08-2012, 08:37 AM

Default Has anyone used Quilters Dream woo battingl? Question about shrinkage

I am planning on using QD wool batting. The fabric is precuts and has not been prewashed. Does the QD wool shrink any at all? I'm hoping for a bit of a crinkly look.

Also does anyone know how it compares to Hobbs wool? I have used the Hobbs wool and it was ok. I had no complaints but I would like to try QD wool. One thing I did notice is that QD can be quilted farther apart than the Hobbs. I'm not sure if that is a benefit or not.

Thanks.
    Old 04-08-2012, 09:06 AM

what does the package say? I'm using Quilters Dream cotton batting for the first time and the package indicated 1% shrinkage. I quilt whatever I'm going to quilt - and that's generally more than what the packages say...I like quilting!!!
    Old 04-08-2012, 09:46 AM
    Power Poster

I LOVE quilters Dream Wool! the shrinkage is minimal- it is wonderful to work with- I prefer it over the Hobbs wool- although theirs is ok
    if your fabrics have not been prewashed that is where what ever shrinkage is going to occur will come from.
    my whole cloth quilt with the dream wool batting is my favorite quilt- it fluffs up & is oh so- cozy & soft when it comes out of the dryer- and yet still fairly lightweight....I love all of the batts from the dream company- but the wool is by far my favorite.
    Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 AM

Ok great. I'm going to go ahead and order it today. Someone (on board) said that even if fabric was prewashed that the batting would shrink and create the crinkled look. I was thinking that applied more to cotton batting. There is a nice sale over at Fabric Depot 30% off so I'm going to get a couple. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
    Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 AM

I've always used Warm & Natural - mainly easy to get at JoAnn's and the ability to use my 40% coupon on it. However, I'm making a quilt for someone that has a flannel backing on and wanted the batting to be lighter weight than the warm & natural. The lady at the quilt store suggested the Quilter Dream Cotton. And WOW!!!! my needle slides thru like cutting butter w/ a hot knife!!!

I have one more quilt to make w/ the warm & natural and will probably be a dream cotton convert...
    Old 04-08-2012, 03:06 PM
    BMP

I am a Dream convert, I dont think I will be using Warm and Natural any longer !
    Old 04-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by BMP
    I am a Dream convert, I dont think I will be using Warm and Natural any longer !
    Same here. I have a few pieces of W&N but will use them with recycled jeans in potholders.
    Old 04-08-2012, 05:10 PM

I love it, minimal shrinkage, also great to handquilt, like quilting thru butter!!!!
    Originally Posted by ckcowl
    I LOVE quilters Dream Wool! the shrinkage is minimal- it is wonderful to work with- I prefer it over the Hobbs wool- although theirs is ok
    if your fabrics have not been prewashed that is where what ever shrinkage is going to occur will come from.
    my whole cloth quilt with the dream wool batting is my favorite quilt- it fluffs up & is oh so- cozy & soft when it comes out of the dryer- and yet still fairly lightweight....I love all of the batts from the dream company- but the wool is by far my favorite.
    Old 04-08-2012, 07:32 PM

I just finished a quilt with Quilters Dream Wool bat. I love it - it is a little puffier than Dream Cotton or Dream Green. It quilted beautifully. I had washed my fabric but have not washed the quilt.
    Old 04-09-2012, 05:28 AM

Quilters Dream wool batting does not shrink and is lighter in weight than the cotton with more warmth. The wool batting is shrunk so much in the process of making it that there's no more shrink left in it!! :-) I love it for all of its' qualities, but especially the fact that it weighs less than the cotton batting. That is a big plus for me while making a larger quilt, and while sleeping under it!!!!