Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Has this ever happened to you? >
  • Has this ever happened to you?

• Has this ever happened to you?

Old 08-14-2011, 09:37 PM

When this happened to me, I added a strip of batting by hand stitching it to the end of the main piece. Just sat on the floor and looped with the basteing needle while it was still on the frame. I was short by appx 6-8". I do the same when piecing 45" wide poly batting for a bed quilt.
    Old 08-15-2011, 02:55 AM

My quilt is done. After realizing my backing was short, I removed it from the frame, sewed on another piece of backing. Repinned it to the poles, got back to the spot and continued. I bound it yesterday.

It feels so good to have this done.

Thanks for all the support, it is nice to have friends that understand. Now I will measure twice to make sure it fits. My late mother always said there is a lesson to be learned in all that happens.
    Old 08-15-2011, 03:44 AM

That is another lesson I learned from my DH, whose hobby is woodworking. Measure twice, cut once. Unfortunately, I did not always heed his advise and have one quilt that has a 6 inch wide strip of different fabric on the back. Thought I was the first one to think of this idea--cut the too-short backing in 2/3-1/3 pieces, embroidery stitiched my quilt info on the alternating fabric and sewed it between the other two pieces. It gave the backing an interesting look.
    Old 08-15-2011, 03:49 AM

Yes, I had that happen once. NOT FUN! A venting break is great! Wish I'd have thought of that a while back...

:):)
    Old 08-15-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by jeank
    I only quilt my own quilts. I would be so nervous working on someone else's. I do allow my friends to use my machine, but they are there doing the work.

One time I did a machine embroidery design on a friend's beautiful fleece. Even though I had practiced it, I was not comfortable and said I would never work on other's items again.

Jean
    I know exactly what your feelings are ..................
    Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 AM

I've never had this happen but I'm in a longarm guild and this issue was addressed at a meeting.

One longarmer had an interesting solution. She set her regular domestic sewing machine on the table where pantos go. She removed only pins at the bottom of the quilt, pinned on another piece of fabric, and sewed it to the bottom of the backing WITHOUT REMOVING THE QUILT FROM THE LONGARM. She simply pulled it to the back table and sewed the extra fabric on, then re-attached the backing to the belly bar with the new strip sewn on.

Well, another longarmer did her one better by telling us he did the same but not with his domestic machine. He sewed the extra strip on WITH THE LONGARM. Some people are just so creative.
    Old 08-15-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    I've never had this happen but I'm in a longarm guild and this issue was addressed at a meeting.

One longarmer had an interesting solution. She set her regular domestic sewing machine on the table where pantos go. She removed only pins at the bottom of the quilt, pinned on another piece of fabric, and sewed it to the bottom of the backing WITHOUT REMOVING THE QUILT FROM THE LONGARM. She simply pulled it to the back table and sewed the extra fabric on, then re-attached the backing to the belly bar with the new strip sewn on.

Well, another longarmer did her one better by telling us he did the same but not with his domestic machine. He sewed the extra strip on WITH THE LONGARM. Some people are just so creative.
    I can see how this would work. Never thought of it. I just got upset and pulled everything off.

I hope there is never a next time to try your suggestions.