Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hate Binding Quilts! >
  • Hate Binding Quilts!

• Hate Binding Quilts!

Old 12-14-2011, 05:21 AM

I really enjoy hand-binding, but you have a lot of projects to finish, and that gets tough. I just put on good old movies, plop myself on the floor of the family room and have a good ole time. If I lived closer, I'd come over and help you out :-)
    Old 12-14-2011, 05:23 AM

Hi,

I think mastering binding is the toughest part for all new quilters OR quilters who have not found their "way" yet. I stumbled around for about 2.5 years in this area. I took a "borders and binding" class once and it left me more confused...lol I bought the "Fons and Porter" binding tool and NO ONE could figure out HOW to use that thing.. so I gave it away.

The suggestion of making lots of pot holders or mug rugs is a great way to play with this until you find your binding "mo-jo". For kids quilts or what I call "USING QUILTS" I machine sew the entire binding on with a double row of stitching in the binding. I attach to the back first and then to the front. I use a SUPER SIMPLE way to join the tails of my bindings that works EVERY TIME. Drops the final binding down soooo perfect with no guessing or measuring. I've been hoping to make a tutorial of the steps. I think reading it could be confusing, but I did a demo at my quilt group and even ladies who'd been quilting for years could not believe it works. I originally saw it on a quilting show several years back and luckily I had my VCR running. It was just a quickie fairly insignificant 5 min segment on some show. I watched it back about 5 times and tried it. It's my tried and true method.

Basically.. you cross your tails over..and mark where they meet in the center. You cut off the lower/under tail at that line. You open up the tail you cut off and measure the width. So.. if you had cut a 2" wide binding strip -when you open that cut off tail it's 2". You ADD WHAT EVER the wide of that binding strip to the upper binding strip and cut off there. So... on the upper tail you'd add that 2" in length before cutting off. Then you open both bindings. Put them face to face and turn to make the 90° angle (like you're making binding lengths). Sew diagonally and fold it back in half and lay it down. It FITS every time. Once I double ck the fit I cut off the excess and sew it down.

There are a couple Youtubes that are close to this, but they complicate that last step. Just add the width of the binding to the top tail. Some tuts have you split that length between the upper and lower tail. It's not necessary.. just open the chunk of binding you cut off and add that width to the upper tail. Cut, join..and you're done.

IT NEVER FAILS.

Last edited by Highmtn; 12-14-2011 at 05:30 AM.
    Old 12-14-2011, 05:36 AM

I struggled with binding for a long time until I discovered the Shelley Rodgers method. Just use your search engine and type in Shelley Rodgers binding instructions. It has step by step pics as well. I find it to be a no fail method, and I actually love doing binding now. Give it a try and good luck.
    Old 12-14-2011, 05:56 AM

I always enjoy binding my quilts, since I hand quilt, I don't mind binding by hand. It's kinda like I'm saying goodby to the quilt when I stitch the binding down. My very favorite part is the hand quilting, so finishing kinda makes me sad.
    Old 12-14-2011, 06:06 AM

Kathryn,
    I don't mind doing binding since I found Sharon Schamber's "Elmer's Glue Technique". I can bind a lap quilt in about an hour. I use the technique to match patterns on the backing or anywhere else that I need to match. I bound a circular tree skirt with a striped binding with only a few pins and the stripes matched (they were joined on the diagonal). On kid's quilts, I put the binding on backwards and use a decorative stitch on the front). On more decorative quilts, I hand stitch the binding down.
    Here is the link to her technique.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE
    Try it, I think that you will like it.
    Dolly in MI

Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 AM

I enjoy binding my quilts. I guess I think it gives my permission to start thinking about anothe project. I hand stitch the back of the binding. I thought about machine stitching the back but I like that I can take my sewing tote and quilt and join the family in the TV room for awhile and still sew.
    Old 12-14-2011, 06:12 AM

I actually like to do the binding...it seems such a peaceful thing to do.
    Old 12-14-2011, 06:36 AM

I find it amazing that I totally LOVE handquilting, but hate to do the bindings, too. I've got a 3/4 finished tree skirt, and a small Christmas wallhanging I need to do this week, and I'm SO not looking forward to it.
    Old 12-14-2011, 06:36 AM

I'm in the camp with those that love the process of finishing the binding by hand. I've never used a thimble or been taught how to fit a thimble but thanks to this thread I've learned the proper fit! I also like the suggestions of the stick-on thimbles. Oh my oh my...so many things to learn on this forum, I'm loving it!
    Old 12-14-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Angel
    I struggled with binding for a long time until I discovered the Shelley Rodgers method. Just use your search engine and type in Shelley Rodgers binding instructions. It has step by step pics as well. I find it to be a no fail method, and I actually love doing binding now. Give it a try and good luck.
    I LOVE Shelley aka Pirate! She is a wonderful person with a wry sense of humor! I've had the privilege of being at a AZ quilt retreat with her. Ladies her tutorials are wonderful. I agree with Quilting Angel check out her methods, she's a born teacher!

http://pir8.freeservers.com/quilting...ding/index.htm

Last edited by onaemtnest; 12-14-2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: To add link