Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hate My Quilt >
  • Hate My Quilt

• Hate My Quilt

Old 07-01-2011, 06:09 AM

That has happened to me. Sometimes I'll work on a smaller project w/fabric I like and forget about the "ugly" quilt. Usually when I get back to it, its not as ugly as I remember it. Sometimes a little time and distance helps. Make sure you post some pics so we can all tell you how great it looks.

Marie M.
    Old 07-01-2011, 06:11 AM

I sort of understand. My sister has always loved purple and quite frankly, I hate it. So when she requested a quilt for her queen bed, guess what she wanted? So, being that I love my sister, I made her a quilt 108 x 108 inches in so many shades of purple! Despite the color choice, I was quite pleased with how it turned out and my sister absolutely loves it! So, regardless of how you feel about the quilt, think about how much HE will enjoy it! (and he really will!)

The purple quilt
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]219337[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-219331.jpe  
    Old 07-01-2011, 06:18 AM

Yes and now I say at the beginning I prefer which patterns and fabric to use. I made just a table runner for a dear friend, an artist, who wanted something in dark greens and charcoal and light greys. He chose the fabric and the colours were gorgeous and the pattern an 8 point star, also gorgeous and a joy to watch evolving. But the hand quilting was murder on the eyes. Colours you don't like or can't work with are a difficulty and quilting, unless you do it professionally and don't care about these aspects of it is such a 'soul' and spiritual, meditative practice you should do something that brings you pleasure. It should be possible to find colours and patterns that are mutually satisfying. Maybe you can combine what he wants with some blocks in complementary tones or colours that are better for you, he'll probably like it better in the long run too.
    Old 07-01-2011, 06:27 AM

More than once!! Just keep telling yourself that it's going to be worth it when it's "finally" done. Then reward yourself with something just for you.
    Old 07-01-2011, 06:31 AM

I am also working on one I'm not crazy about. It's for my daughter and her boyfriend's king size bed! The colors are boring and I will be happy to give it to them and be done with it.
    Old 07-01-2011, 06:45 AM

Yes. I once got roped into making up a kit for a friend, and I hated every minute of it. I just worked on it nonstop until I could finish it and put it behind me. It was a good lesson in saying no next time. And I will. Never again.
    Old 07-01-2011, 06:48 AM

Have a UFO that I am totally uninterested in, but it is for my wonderful niece and so I'm trying to stay focused on that. Don't like the fabric, don't like the pattern and I'm still trying to figure out why I started the diddly burn thing.
    Old 07-01-2011, 06:50 AM

After reading all of these, I feel that we all have at least 1 quilt that we hate/hated putting together. I will now pick fabrics and patterns with care!
    Old 07-01-2011, 07:02 AM

These days, I just offer someone their pick of my UFOs - that helps me finish them, too.
    Old 07-01-2011, 07:29 AM

o my , I saw a beautiful one in plaid so I have started to collect the fabric. It will be better than you now think. and your brother will love it. Keep positive, it will be great and the more you do the faster you will be done.lol