Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • have a cousin that's done 3 tours in afganistan >
  • have a cousin that's done 3 tours in afganistan

• have a cousin that's done 3 tours in afganistan

Old 01-24-2011, 04:21 PM

would like to do a military tribute quilt for fund rasier for injured vets any suggestions? thought i use fatigues from battle w/ applique of war medal in center any ideas?
    Old 01-24-2011, 04:42 PM

Good luck with that. My DD is on her 2nd over there. GRRRR!!!!!!!
    Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM

I'd use a lot of red, white and blue. If you can do a star pattern that would be fitting also.

Tell your cousin we are thankful for his service!

My son will be deployed again in June...it hard...so very hard on the families.
    Old 01-24-2011, 08:43 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

It's my personal opinion that tribute quilts and quilts for war wounded probably should not be heavily military themed, but more patriotic/Grand Ole USA themed.

When making the quilts for the Military Barracks Quilts Project, done here on the board, we requested happy colors without lots of white or metallics - which can cause problems for open or healing wounds.

When we make quilts for the Patriot Quilters of VA, we use all colors (again no metallics, though), but go more toward reds, white/ecru/pale yellow, and blues; we use stars, and other familiar blocks. Our quilts for this project are larger than the Barracks Quilts - about 60x70" minimum.

If you will check out American Hero Quilts, there are general guidelines that might help you. http://americanheroquilts.com/

Jan in VA
    Old 01-24-2011, 09:52 PM

that is a nice thing to do
    Old 01-25-2011, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    It's my personal opinion that tribute quilts and quilts for war wounded probably should not be heavily military themed, but more patriotic/Grand Ole USA themed.

When making the quilts for the Military Barracks Quilts Project, done here on the board, we requested happy colors without lots of white or metallics - which can cause problems for open or healing wounds.

When we make quilts for the Patriot Quilters of VA, we use all colors (again no metallics, though), but go more toward reds, white/ecru/pale yellow, and blues; we use stars, and other familiar blocks. Our quilts for this project are larger than the Barracks Quilts - about 60x70" minimum.

If you will check out American Hero Quilts, there are general guidelines that might help you. http://americanheroquilts.com/

Jan in VA
    I would have to agree. I was thinking something more along the lines of "his state" orientated. Perhaps the state flower, animal, insignia, etc.
    Old 01-25-2011, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA

Jan in VA
    I would have to agree with Jan. I was thinking something more along the lines of "his state" orientated. Perhaps the state flower, animal, insignia, etc.