Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have two questions, opinions and help appreciated >
  • Have two questions, opinions and help appreciated

• Have two questions, opinions and help appreciated

Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 AM

[QUOTE=ckcowl;5824567]quilt smart has a great mariners compass quilt pattern- beginner friendly-turns out great- here's one of the mariner's compass quilts i did- i've used the quiltsmart interfacings to make half a dozen of them QUOTE]
    Thanks so much, I did find a lot of mariner compass patterns; it was just that I really loved how that particualr one was put together. Yours is very striking! (Where in Northern Mich do you live?) if you don't mind my asking...........I grew up in the Upper Peninsula (Yooper) small town of Curtis. Again Thanks!!!
    Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 PM

No help here but that is one gorgeous quilt! Good luck!
    Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 AM
    Power Poster

I highly recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Mariners-Compa...judy+mathieson

She uses the freezer paper method. Very similar to PP but you don't sew through the paper. You preforate it and fold it back and sew right next to the fold. The waxy coating of the FP is ironed to your fabric and acts as a foundation/stabilizer. You can reuse your pattern pieces several times. I love the method as it involves no tearing and produces the same excellent results as traditional PP. Not sure if this is what you meant by "fold" method.

The book includes several patterns for the MC blocks and teaches you how to draft your own to any size. I made this quilt with no pattern other thant the blocks using this book. I used the pattern she included for the center compass and partial compasses. Then I drafted my own for the 4 outer compass borders. The rest was just very basic math.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]391971[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails dans-tats.jpg  

Last edited by feline fanatic; 01-31-2013 at 05:23 AM.
    Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 AM

I have made a few compass quilts. The method I like the best is Judy Matheson's method. You cut your templates out of freezer paper no seam allowance, fuse to the wrong side of your fabric, then you cut them out adding the seam allowance as you cut. Then you piece along the edge of the freezer paper. Easy as can be and very accurate. You can do compasses with oddles of points and get sharp points every time.
    Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 AM

It is a lovely design. I would try a Google search on some combination of words such as MARINER STAR MEDALLION QUILT WITH QUARTER STAR BORDERS, and ON POINT, etc. I found a few book titles, including Amish Inspired Medallion Quilts, that might yield a working pattern. In my search, I think I found your exact quilt credited to Quilts of Shady Maple, an online Amish store. Good luck!