Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop? >
  • Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

• Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:25 PM

If you are ever through TN towards Nashville. You have got to go to Sir's in Fayetville. LOVE it.
    Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM

The ladies who owned my LQS weren't the friendliest...seemed a little "clickish"...but now I go to a shop that is quite a bit further away, but when you walk in the ladies all yell, "Welcome...whatcha workin' on? How can we help? Feel free to browse, take down anything, we'll put it all back...Much more pleasant experience :)
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:01 PM

Of course, haven't we all? But who cares, we now go to the friendly, inspirational, happy quilt stores, right ?

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:17 PM

My LQS has a seriously mean clerk who I am sure must hate my guts, cause she treats me terrible. Happiy I live really close to a bigger city, Springfield, where I am blessed with 3 of the Best quilt stores around. All 3 of these stores treat u wonderful, whether they r busy or not. Same prices, better selection, u know where I'm going. Plus they all have great lighting!
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:24 PM

Actually, yes! So unfortunate too, because quilters spend mucho bucks on there fabric and notions. One shop is in a small town in Wisconsin. A really beautiful shop but never anyone in there. The owner is the problem she is haughty and rude. I do go there once in a while because, as you can imagine, there are no fabric stores close to me. This one is 9 miles away. Everytime I do go, there is a new sales lady. The sales people try to be exceptionally nice but, oh boy. A few year's ago the owner bought a new long arm and opened up another huge store front to put it in. I have NEVER seen a quilt on the long arm or anyone using it. So sad. The next closest quilt store to me is 30 miles away and the owner is a gem. Love her and try to give her my main business.
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:28 PM

Oh yeah...the most out of the way shop on a shop hop (2 hours each way)...too rude to stop chatting with each other to help customers. When I was so bold as to ask a question about some material they had in a quilt that was hanging in the shop, I was told that the material was 5 years old and they didn't have it. So why hang the flippin' quilt in the shop if you don't have the ******* material? Well, I never did that shop hop again.

I think I visited that quilt shop in Florida...I found a wonderful lady there to help me find what I was looking for...the lady manning the cash register, well, not so much.
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:39 PM

A few years ago DH took me up the East coast states with quilt shops along the way as well as quilt museums. We must have stopped at 50 shops in our 2 weeks. As I have worked at JoAnns and LQS I was forgiving in short answers or busy sales clerks. Then we hit Vermont and had an unbelievable rude sales people. Not only where they rude but spoke about customers in the most unprofessional way.To hear that language in a QS was shocking. i could not wait to get out of there., I just ask my husband if he remember the shop and he still recalls how unbelievable their behavioral was. I hope someone else bought the shop and turned it around.
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 PM

I was in a quilt shop (Running With Scissors) in the Sacramento area last week and by contrast, got the nicest customer service ever. We were greeted as we came in. People were in the shop talking and sewing and when the lady finished cutting my fabric, she looked at me and said how much they appreciated my business. It was great and I wish I lived closer so I could go there more. What a difference a warm, welcoming place makes in how you feel about spending your money there.
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:56 PM

I like shopping at the local Hancocks here. They are super busy, but they will acknowledge you and help you as much as you need when it's your turn. Can't say that about the LQS, they aren't really rude, but they don't seem to care whether you are there or not.
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by darleneerickson
    capitol quilts in gaithersburg, md is a very unfriendly shop. Maybe if you spend thousands they are nice????

darlene
    Check out Patches in Mt. Airy, MD. In my experience they are all wonderful, knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly people who work there.