Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you ever gotten tired of a color in your stash? >
  • Have you ever gotten tired of a color in your stash?

• Have you ever gotten tired of a color in your stash?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 PM

I really stayed away from yellow but lately have made a quilt for a GD and yellow is her favorite color! I ended up liking the quilt a lot and so did a lot of other people in my group. Now I may add a little yellow to my stash!
    Old 12-13-2010, 09:54 PM

I don't use much orange at all, though I like to have it.
    Old 12-13-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sloan Quinn
    Anybody have any idea what to do with this? Its either a poly or a dk (I haven't ever looked at it that close); I got it from my grandmother when I received part of her stash - she used to make a lot of clothes. It's nice enough, I suppose, but not something I have a clue where to use.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    I think it would make a great background to the sailboat pattern. You know, the one where there are sailboats in various colors...

Something like this....http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...oats-quilt.htm

But the sailboats would have to be something really outstanding (colorwise) to make it stand out.
    Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 PM
    Power Poster

I love country blues and calicos. The problem is that what I have been given as hand me downs has not been suitable because of the poor quality. Such pretty fabric. A friend helped me pack it up to give it away for crafting to another friend.

Oh I do not like peach from that time frame.
    Old 12-13-2010, 11:35 PM

I don't really dislike it, but I have very little black or really bright colors. I used to hate batiks, now I can't get enough! If I keep seeing something in my stash that bothers me, I'll just cut it up in 1 1/4" strips for that scrappy log cabin that's on my some day to do list. If you cut it small enough, it will probably work, especially those really large prints will be reduced to a different look.
    Old 12-14-2010, 12:30 AM

What if I took and alternated pieced sailboat blocks with blocks from the mystery fabric? I could do different sailboat pieces to keep it mixed up...yeah...I think I might be able to figure something out with that. Thanks, gin!

My only concern then I suppose would be the fabric itself. It's awful silky, and I'm just not sure how it would react under my needle. I guess that means I need to experiment. Ah, well, another project for a rainy day (after Dec 25, lol).

Thanks alot,
    Sloan

P.S. I checked - the good news is, its a woven fabric. Still no idea what kind, but hey, that's something, right?

Originally Posted by justflyingin
    Originally Posted by Sloan Quinn
    Anybody have any idea what to do with this? Its either a poly or a dk (I haven't ever looked at it that close); I got it from my grandmother when I received part of her stash - she used to make a lot of clothes. It's nice enough, I suppose, but not something I have a clue where to use.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    I think it would make a great background to the sailboat pattern. You know, the one where there are sailboats in various colors...

Something like this....http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...oats-quilt.htm

But the sailboats would have to be something really outstanding (colorwise) to make it stand out.
    Old 12-14-2010, 02:34 AM

Country blue & mauve.Now I'm getting tired of dreary colors.Our tastes do change!
    Old 12-14-2010, 02:51 AM

I don't care for Brights. I've never been an orange kind of girl, either. I have three or four fat quarters of it. And doncha know - I was in a mailing club where we'd be sent a yard or so of fabric with a block pattern. Make the blocks, mail them back, then Winners were drawn and sent enough of the blocks to make a quilt. I actually Won! Received a Box filled with the Orange blocks. Excited and not excited at the same time. Made the quilt and gave it away - no orange quilts in my house, I can assure you! lol...
    Old 12-14-2010, 03:48 AM

I like all colors as they all work in someplace and some of those purples and yellows can really make a quilt pop the ones I do not like or won't buy are those huge prints what oh what do you ever do with them
    Old 12-14-2010, 04:06 AM

I found a way to have no guilt about fabric you are tired of or just think is ugly and will probably never use. Rather than wasting it or using up valuable storage space, you can have it woven into rag rugs which last forever, make good use of the fabric and look really different than the original fabric. They make great gifts too. Check out this new Web site link. http://www.greensquiltingandweaving.com