Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you ever had this problem with PIGs? >
  • Have you ever had this problem with PIGs?

• Have you ever had this problem with PIGs?

Old 08-02-2014, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    Yes it CAN happen dunster. I have drawers full of old calicos from the 80s and don't know what to do with them. So old and wrinkled. I don't want to risk selling them because someone may have thought they should look like fresh off the bolt when it is over 30 years old. Yes, I too need to clean out my PIGS!!!
    I had someone donate a bunch of these to me--and I've been using them up (calicos from a while ago). Yes, they are dated, but in the pattern I made (Trip around the world), they work fine!

I think the key to a piece of fabric that we don't like is then to work with the color and value and use it that way. Keep cutting it up smaller and smaller until the color is what matters and not the actual design on the fabric.
    Old 08-03-2014, 03:45 AM

I love my stash, I want time to sew it up, LOL
    Old 08-03-2014, 04:26 AM

I can shorten it up even more, PIP....Pigs Inna Poke.
    Old 08-03-2014, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    If you put the fabric back then it is just stash and you have no pressure to complete a project -just the potential of a new dream.

My kind of thinking! LOL
    Old 08-03-2014, 05:39 AM

Fabric has no expiration date. I've had a yard and a half of fabric I had no clue if I would ever use -- anytime I tried to put it in a project it just didn't work -- until yesterday! Now it will be used in a denim cathedral window quilt. The few inches I have left over will be cut into strips for my string quilt box. When you have fabric you don't know if you will use, do what makes you happy. If you feel less pressure on yourself by giving it away then do it. If you can put it in your stash for another day then that is great too.
    Old 08-03-2014, 05:42 AM

I have donated fabric to the Iowa State fair for their quilting project during the fair, That way I have gotten a lot of fabric out of my stash and it went to a good cause!!!
    Old 08-03-2014, 06:37 AM

Thanks for asking that question. I was wondering what it meant, and I didn't want to leave the thread to look it up on that one place where they explain ....

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    OK . I kept thinking projects in... But could not come up with that G ...all kinds of funny words did come to mind, but never got close to grocery... . Thanks for clearing that up for me. (Now it feels like a ' duh' moment
    Old 08-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    What? Fabric that you don't like? Can that happen?
    No, never, not ever. Fabric is beautiful, comforting, adorable, life sustaining, like my own child; I might have gone a bit overboard on that, right?
    Old 08-03-2014, 08:18 AM

pizzles - LOVE that! I'm going to add that to my ever-expanding use of acronyms!

swaparama - what in the world is that and how have I lived without being involved in one of these?!

Okay, now my PIGS are separated out from my UFOs. I'll stew on the fabrics for awhile.
    Old 08-03-2014, 09:54 AM
    Power Poster

I don't think I've ever heard of PIGs before, however, your definition was given later on. I suppose I could use PIPs for Projects in plastic bags, as I was spending more time trying to find a specific pattern or fabric for that pattern that I eventually found these very large zip lock bags at the grocery store. Now, when I'm trying to organize myself (something I do almost all the time) when I come across a pattern I want to make, I put the pattern/magazine in the large zip lock bag with the fabric to make the project, that way, whenever I actually get around to making that UFO or PIP, everything is ready to go and I wind up feeling less stressed out. I try to get organized, but it's not easy.