Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you ever make a top you just don't like? >
  • Have you ever make a top you just don't like?

• Have you ever make a top you just don't like?

Old 03-09-2016, 05:59 AM
    Power Poster

Yes. One my story was very similar to Joset's and another is sitting in my to be quilted pile and destined for a charity quilt. I am hoping a tween girl will like it.
    Old 03-09-2016, 05:59 AM

this is the EXACT pattern I made for a crib quilt my daughter wanted. Not only did I not fully care for the pattern, but wasn't crazy about the color choices, either. But I decided it really wasn't "for me", so I pushed through. I just need to quilt it, but I must say, it's growing on me.

Your color choices were perfect for this one, IMO. Like others have said, if you continue to hate it....donate!

Nice work!
    Old 03-09-2016, 06:25 AM
    Power Poster

Yes often. My mom sewed her entire life and one of her favorite sayings was "there's nothing as discouraging than a half finished garment". I usually go thru the following cycle:
    Selecting pattern, fabric & making first block: wildly enthusiastic
    Most of blocks done, but not set: what my mom said
    Top completed: I guess it's OK, but did not fulfill my "artistic vision"
    Quilted & bound: I LOVE it! (if I don't, there's always someone who will!)
    I think I only have 1 UFO, although I have given a few away before the top was done...
    Old 03-09-2016, 06:52 AM
    Power Poster

it could become a nice back!
    Old 03-09-2016, 07:02 AM

I would finish it since you are so close. I have sometimes been surprised that a flimsy I didn't like at all became just fine when the quilting was done. The bright white and black in yours could be calmed down some of you quilt in a bright pink on both. Another idea would be white quilting in the black and black quilting in the white to integrate the design some.
    Old 03-09-2016, 07:03 AM

Watson,
    when I have a top that I don't like, I usually end up cutting it up and using it in an improvisational quilt--I've had some cool results doing that.

That said, I think your quilt is interesting and your color choices are quite nice. Can you be more specific about what it is you don't like?

Is it because the main motif is centered down the middle of the quilt or is there something about the colors that is not your cup of tea?

If it's the composition, then there may be some quick fix you could do like putting a wider border on one side than the other in order to increase the "edginess" of the quilt by making the main pattern not be quite so centered. If it's the colors, then you could address that by your choice of quilting thread to change either the value or intensity of one of the colors.

I'm trying to remember where I saw it, but there was a quilter who showed a picture before and after of one of her quilts that she just didn't like the value of a couple of the fabrics in the quilt, so she used a thread to quilt it in those sections that was just enough different in value that it changed the apparent value of the fabrics to something that worked better for her.

Rob
    Old 03-09-2016, 07:41 AM
    Power Poster

I love yours. I believe after you put the borders on and maybe do a simple linear stitch, you'll be happier. I'm slowly working on the one for hubby who said it was the ugliest thing he'd seen. He's getting it anyway and will be able to request a different one later. I'm finishing the projects in my project boxes if I get nothing else done.
    Old 03-09-2016, 07:54 AM

I have had 5 UFOs in a closet for about 5 years that I really didn't like and didn't want to finish. I took one out just before Christmas last year and made myself quilt it. It's really cute and I will give it to the granddaughter sometime in the future. I just took the second one out last month and finished it. It is really pretty and my son is going to love it. I will eventually finish numbers 3 and 4 but I think 5 is destined to be re-homed without being finished.
    I wouldn't put the side borders on, just stitch around the edges to prevent stretching. Toss in a closet. Take it out in later this year and if you still don't like it do a quick stitch in the ditch and give to someone who would love a Christmas gift.
    Sometimes your mind set changes and you go back and finish what you started. I also give the UFOs a chance to change my mind
    Old 03-09-2016, 08:11 AM

If you don't like it at this point, I doubt you will. Another suggestion: Trim the sides and make it into a dramatic table runner (or if you have the right space use as a skinny wall hanging). If I made it into a table runner, I might look for some stripes in the pink and black or gray and use as a binding (on diagonal maybe.) That said, some fantastic quilting might make you change your mind.
    Old 03-09-2016, 08:11 AM

Sometimes I've found that the quilt top I absolutely hated turned out not so bad after it was quilted. And I've usually found someone else who would love it. I like you quilt. Not sue I'd want it hanging on my wall but I like it.