Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you ever make a top you just don't like? >
  • Have you ever make a top you just don't like?

• Have you ever make a top you just don't like?

Old 03-09-2016, 08:36 AM

I find the quilting breathes life into every quilt. Don't give up on it until it's quilted!
    Old 03-09-2016, 10:19 AM

Thanks to everyone for your opinions.
    They've certainly given me some food for thought.

I think I'll continue on with it although I have no idea how I'll quilt it at this point.....with coloured thread or with matching thread? Or contrasting thread? Not sure I have the nerve to do contrasting.

I was thinking of doing square spirals in the negative space? Thoughts?

Watson
    Old 03-09-2016, 10:56 AM

Yep. Have one now sitting in my sewing room. Have no idea what I'm going to do with it.
    Old 03-09-2016, 01:19 PM

Just quilt it and remember that the Canadian government paid $1.8 million dollars for this years ago.
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=voice...sAQIMw#imgrc=_

Art is subjective I suppose and your quilt is a piece of art, on a smaller scale.
    Old 03-09-2016, 02:19 PM

I'm working on one now for a very special cousin, and I was so unhappy with my fabric choices when I had the top almost completely sewn together that I decided to go buy more (different) fabric and re-do the whole thing. Fortunately, my husband was OK with me doing that because he knows how much I want this quilt to be right.

It wasn't just my fabric choices though - I had also sewn a couple of blocks in with the fabric backwards (life's been a bit stressful lately... ), and it's just going to be easier to make a new one than to fix everything. The pattern has the blocks sewn on the diagonal, so I'm cutting the first one up into HST's and 5" squares so I can use them in another quilt.

I'm much happier with my fabric choices this time around. BTW, I love that quilt pattern and hope it grows on you after you get it quilted - you did a great job on it!
    Old 03-09-2016, 02:20 PM

This quilt is calling for brightly colored variegated thread. Do a search for "Caryl Bryer Fallert" to be inspired.
    Old 03-09-2016, 02:21 PM

I do the same as Homespun. I give it to Project Linus. Just because I don't like it--doesn't mean some kid won't think it is wonderful. For sure, I don't have the same taste as a teenaged boy.
    Old 03-09-2016, 02:27 PM

More often that I like. I eventually finish them, sometimes not as originally planned :-) Some go to charity or are gifted to someone who expresses and interest. I take them to guild meetings for 'show and tell' and put them in the charity bin or on the freebie table and sometimes by the time I've finished it, I love it all over again. It's a voyage.
    Old 03-09-2016, 02:28 PM

Yes!! It's a UFO!! Maybe some day I will resurrect it but for now, it's 1 of 3 UFO's.
    Old 03-09-2016, 02:52 PM
    RST

Happens all the time.

The trick is to learn how to assess the best thing to do -- switch the original plan to something totally different, tweak it just a bit, or go ahead and finish it trusting that you will like it when done. My most recent experience was the Gravity quilt blocks I made. The individual blocks are beautiful but I just wasn't loving the effect of them all put together as in the pattern. My solution was to break it up into several smaller projects -- 2 table runners, a wall quilt, and 2 smaller quilts. I'm happier with how the blocks look, I'm using what was an investment in time and materials, but I'm not spending a huge amount of additional time doing the finishing and quilting on a very large quilt that just doesn't quite work for me.

With the WIP you posted, I think it will all come together with some great quilting -- lots of space to create some texture and subtle pattern from whatever type of quilting you decide to do. Finish it up, set it aside for a while, and them come back and see how you feel about it. If you don't love it, post photos on social media and whichever friends seem to like it best get a nice Christmas or birthday gift. I guarantee that someone will find it works perfectly for their modern/ midcentury modern space.