Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you ever sold a quilt? >
  • Have you ever sold a quilt?

• Have you ever sold a quilt?

Old 05-16-2011, 02:47 AM

I have sold a couple of quilts, both purchased by people who saw them and liked them. Everyone has a different idea of what 'making a living' means. could i replace my yearly salary and benefits by quilting full time?, probably not. but it will be a nice way to supplement my retirement income when that time comes (if ever!)
    Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 AM

I have sold several quilts in the past and just started making quilts for sale again this year. I'm trying Etsy this time see how that goes.
    Old 05-16-2011, 04:47 AM

I have sold Q's. Strategy was to make up several and display at craft fairs and any charity art shows. Both need to have a little class so people go expecting to see things that cost $$. Nothing sold at the fair of course but tons of cards given out. I make art Q's for the wall and sold several later which were given as Birthday, baby wedding gifts etc. I would only do them on the rules that they chose colors and gave me an idea of what they preferred. Ie; traditional, art with flames,etc.

Did a LOT with t-shirt quilts! People love getting out all those t-shirts from their events which don't get worn and having them put into a living room, guest room Q. (And boy are they quick and easy. $250 for those. Did several for kids graduating HS and going onto college and they could take a warm piece of life with them.

ALso a LOT of photo quilts for graduations and bd's. Bubble Jet is my $$ making tool. My sample was a Q I did for hubby's 60th BD. Photos from babyhood up to 60. Boy was that fun! They are also quick. I also only machine quilt my projects unless it is something I did for myself that I then sell later wehre I may use either.
    Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 AM
    Power Poster

I have sold a few. I used to have an artisans consignment shop up the road from me. The guy made custom furniture and did furniture refinishing and sold stuff from local artisans in his shop as well. I sold two wallhangings in there. I think I got around $90 for one and $130 for the other but that was over 10 years ago. I have also been commissioned to make T-shirt quilts for 3 different clients. Those were tied and I charged $350 to $400 each for queen size. The people found out about me from Harley Tshirt quilts I had made for our local HOG chapter and raffled off. And one time a woman commissioned me to make quilts out of her late mothers clothes. She found me through the artisan's consignment shop. That was nightmarish because the clothing she gave me was all different weights and types of fabrics and her block design choice was "Cheerful Child" which has alot of HST. I did two lap quilts approximately 60" square. I swore I would never ever do that again, even though she paid me $400 each for them.
    Old 05-16-2011, 09:12 PM

So sorry that my opinion seemed to upset some quiltmakers.
    I was just telling what happened to me and a few other quilters I have known down through the years. It seems that it depends on your location, how you advertise, and how talented you are. Maybe that was why I failed as a quiltseller and was just happy to be a quiltmaker. Don't get me wrong...I love to quilt for friends, family, and myself. I wish your quilting business the best of success
    Old 05-16-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
    Have you ever sold one or more of your quilts? If so, where and how did you advertise? How did you choose a price to charge and would you try it again?
    I have sold quite a few..had a month long showing at a local coffee shop..sold 5 and had 2 commissioned..lots of word by mouth..I figure out all cost of materials.. then double it..charge1/2(or 100.00 deposit) up front on the commissioned ones and balance on delivery..that way your materials are paid for. It works for me..good luck!!

Both these sold ..left one 175.00..right 250.00
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]198157[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-198151.jpe  
    Old 05-16-2011, 11:33 PM

Have made dozens and dozens free quilts for family and friends in the past and currently have been selling a few quilts here and there by special request.
    Old 05-17-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I have sold a few. I used to have an artisans consignment shop up the road from me. The guy made custom furniture and did furniture refinishing and sold stuff from local artisans in his shop as well. I sold two wallhangings in there. I think I got around $90 for one and $130 for the other but that was over 10 years ago. I have also been commissioned to make T-shirt quilts for 3 different clients. Those were tied and I charged $350 to $400 each for queen size. The people found out about me from Harley Tshirt quilts I had made for our local HOG chapter and raffled off. And one time a woman commissioned me to make quilts out of her late mothers clothes. She found me through the artisan's consignment shop. That was nightmarish because the clothing she gave me was all different weights and types of fabrics and her block design choice was "Cheerful Child" which has alot of HST. I did two lap quilts approximately 60" square. I swore I would never ever do that again, even though she paid me $400 each for them.
    I need to send my completed quilts to you to sell for me - we sure couldnt get those prices here. There are alot of Amish close by that do great work and its a very competitive market. I could never match the quality quilts that they make!!
    Old 05-17-2011, 04:17 AM

You could sell on Etsy. It is pretty inexpensive!
    Old 05-17-2011, 04:22 AM

I have sold several mainly word of mouth. I wish I had taken pictures of all of them, but the customer was happy and I had a lot of fun making a few bucks. I didn't make much from them because I was relatively new, but I got a lot of experience and had a great time working with colors that I would bot normally use myself.