Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you ever sold a quilt? >
  • Have you ever sold a quilt?

• Have you ever sold a quilt?

Old 09-20-2011, 03:45 PM
    Banned

If so, how much did it sell for? Just wondering how much such a labor of love sells for :)
    Old 09-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Yes, several, and for not enough money based on the work that went into them! I won't underprice myself again....
    Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM

I have sold a small quilted wall hanging. I asked and received $20 because that's what I thought was fair. At the very least I received enough to replace my fabric.
    Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM

I've sold a few and am still working out decent pricing. Currently doing a commissioned tshirt quilt and am thinking that the price I gave the lady might not have taken into account my time, but at least the materials will be covered and I'll have learned another lesson.
    Old 09-20-2011, 03:52 PM

i sold a baby quilt once for $85.00 didn't make much off it most people want for almost nothing.
    Old 09-20-2011, 03:54 PM

yes, I have sold a few, they were for friends and I just got replacement for fabric and batting. It was fun but not what they could have been worth. They were real simple paterns. This was when I was just staring piecing and quilting. It is just a hobby for me.
    Old 09-20-2011, 03:56 PM

I've sold a few. One of them I made a bit of money on, but the others nothing close to their true value.
    Old 09-20-2011, 03:58 PM
    Power Poster

Yes, I sold it depending on the size and labor involved. also it depends on if I did it for a friend or some one who contacted me by word of mouth. The cheapest was $175 for a Sunbonnet Sue and Sam Too, made of nine 12 inch squares, sashing and a border. It was not enough but I really enjoyed it as it for a friend. The most was $450 for a large twin made from baby clothes that were send to me. I like doing consignment quilts if I know the people appreciate it. Also I normally buy fabric for it so even if most of the money is spend on the fabric I will most likely still have left over. So I figure I get paid in fabric too.

Sunbonnet Sue in process. Not sure where the finnished quilt picture is on the computer.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]259942[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-259886.jpe   attachment-259887.jpe   attachment-259889.jpe  
    Old 09-20-2011, 03:59 PM

I just keep them if I can't get my supplies and time outta them. Have sold quite a few. Mostly I make them for presents. and quilt other peoples tops for them.
    Old 09-20-2011, 04:23 PM
    Banned

I "bartered" 3 about 20 years ago. At a Country Peddlars Show in Fredericksburg, TX about 20 yrs. ago, I met a couple who did beautiful hand carved & painted cedar chests. We got acquainted & after seeing some of my quilts, over the next six months traded 3 quilts (their patterns/colors) for 3 of the chests. I kept one & gave 1 to each of 2 grand dgtrs upon H.S. graduation. Their chests were priced from about $750 up.

A few years later, I traded 2 commissioned quilts for a hand carved deacons bench & a hand carved gun cabinet from another show. The gun cabinet was for my late hubby & I gave the bench to my dgtr. But for the most part, I just do it for family & my pleasure.

Not sure vendors now would be that receptive to a 'trade' for their wares.