Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you made any baby quilts lately? >
  • Have you made any baby quilts lately?

• Have you made any baby quilts lately?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 AM

I made one a few months ago. I picked out the fabric. It was a pastel pink, yellow and blue with baby prints, and a simple pinwheel. It turned out pretty nice.
    Old 12-16-2011, 01:30 PM

i always choose the fabric unless i know the nursery has a specific theme. And i do NOT use pastels unless specifically requested. most young children look better on bright colors...red, navy, forest green... our family is all blonde and redheads and have little enough color as it is... in addition, they are far more practical when being used as play/sleep mat on the floor or as part of their first playhouse/fort... darker colors hold up well into their pre-school years... pastels are just treated differently because WE worry about them more.
    Old 12-16-2011, 01:41 PM

I have made quite a few this past year and they range all over the place. Some where panels I had or purchased and just added a border to them. Some where they provided a theme and colors they liked and I purchased fabric and made and quilted. Others where they provided all or the main fabric for them and I sewed and quilted them. As far as colors used many where the basic baby colors blue, pinks, yellows and greens. I live and these babies where born in rural areas so many where the farm animal theme or teddy bears and bunnies. One was in the modern browns, greens, oranges, yellows and teals from like the 70's. I do have orders for an art quilt of a large freeform flower in bright jewel tones as the mother is wanting this for her new granddaughter and wanted it to reflect her personality. Two others will be in black, white, and red as they are music teachers and I plan on designed my own for this as I just can not seem to find anything that "sings" to me. To me what makes the baby quilt and make each one there own creation just like the baby.
    Old 12-16-2011, 01:44 PM

A gift baby quilt for a friend's first grandchild was just picked up today. Yesterday was the due date, so we are waiting patiently for the little girl. The mother is from the Czech Republic and does not care for "baby prints" or pure pink colors that are popular in the US. I use marbled and muted soft swirly colors in a snowball pattern, and the border was in yellow, purple and aqua. ( I did use some peachy pink as a tribute to the baby girl. My label was on pink fabric. I forgot to take a picture of it, it turned out well. I picked out the colors, and pattern. It is a surprise gift (no baby shower either), and is on its way to South Carolina to await the arrival as I type.
    Old 12-16-2011, 01:50 PM

I have made a few , the only choice I give the recipient is - Pastels , brights, or primary colors. Almost all come back with requests for pastels. Most pick based on a color(s) used in the babies room. Only once about a year ago , the recipient painted the babies room mocha!
    Those I have sold at shows , have all been pastels, purchased typically by the grandmother.
    Those that I have done for ages 4 and up .. thats a different story ... its all brights... and if its for a girl ... it needs purple!
    Old 12-16-2011, 03:44 PM

I just delivered one last Sunday. I picked the pattern but tried to stay in the colors of the baby's roomrange and yellow. I do what I call a 'cheater I spy" (its not the one with the hexagons. I do a 6 in block with triangles in each corner, snowball style. Each fabric is different. You still get a star, but its kinda squashed. MUCH faster for me than cutting all those hexagons. I cannot find a picture at the moment, but when i locate one, I will post it here...
    Old 12-16-2011, 03:45 PM

I have been making a few baby quilts since last summer. My daughter is due in February and a friends daughter is due next week.

I select the pattern/fabric. I go with the nursery colors. Daughter is "strawberry shortcake" themed so went with pink and reds and strawberry shortcake fabric has been easy to find.
    Friends daughter's theme is blue/brown (boy) striped and polka dots. So that fabric was easy to find also.
    Old 12-16-2011, 03:53 PM

I've made 4. Two for the mothers, and two for the grandmothers (of the same babies) cause for each one it was their first grandbaby - new grandma's need quilts too! In all of them I picked the pattern and the fabrics. One of them was regular cotton, the other three were flannel. The regular cotton one was with primary and bright prints on white, the flannels were all "gender neutral" pastels.
    Old 12-16-2011, 04:03 PM

if it's a gift i do the picking, usually brights. the real tree camo i posted the other day was the parents choosing but the grandma ordered it. i was at 2 craft shows in oct. and several people asked if i had any camo baby quilts (that's where i met this grandma) if i was to have a baby to raise i would stick to pastels, i'm an old fashioned gal!
    Old 12-16-2011, 07:30 PM

I made one this fall. I chose the fabrics after I heard what colors they were going to use for the baby. Shades of grays and blues and bright lime green. It really turned out well. I also appliqued the letter G on it for the baby's first name.