Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you made any baby quilts lately? >
  • Have you made any baby quilts lately?

• Have you made any baby quilts lately?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:54 PM

I have made 3 and have materials for a 4th. The first 2 were made using girly baby fabrics and the 3rd. I made using 30's fabrics. The next one will be little ducks on a blue background with a couple of other fabrics to work with it. I always do my own chosing of fabrics and they were pleased with what I gave them.
    Old 12-16-2011, 08:20 PM

I made one just the other day for a first time father to be! He wanted pink, pink, and more pink....the "girlier" the better.....I just picked a simple pattern with 3 fabrics and a minky backside.....he loved it!
    Old 12-16-2011, 09:38 PM

I just made one for a dear friend of my daughter. She has decided to go traditional (or old-fashioned) in the sense that she doesn't know whether it's a boy or a girl.

I had a baby panel with extra "pictures" that I could applique. I needed it to be a quickie quilt because of a project I'm deeply involved in. The fabric was yellow, blue, green.
    Attached Thumbnails xlittle-one.jpg  
    Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

I make lots of baby quilts. (probably over 100, so far) Except for one, a commission, I have chosen the fabrics and patterns. I never do pastels, both because I am not a pastel kind of person and because some studies have shown that small people respond more to bright colors. I do LARGE # of patterns, some of them oversized single blocks, especially stars. I select fabrics that will encourage discussion as the child gets older. Mainly, I make them about 42x50, so they are big enough for toddlers to drag around. Sometimes I quilt a plain piece of fabric then add an applique, such as a large fuzzy teddy or a Sunbonnet Sue. Once, I took a "prancing pony" PP pattern, enlarged it, and made a quilt for a 4th birthday present (commission). One of my regular patterns is to take an 18x24 piece of large scale pattern, generally tropical fish, cut off the corners, place on batting and backing, and add strips of fabric all around until it is the size I want, sew back the cut off corners, add a border and I am done. My first one of these was ready for binding in 2 1/2 hours, while I was doing demos at our quilt show. I guess what I am saying is don't limit yourself.
    Old 12-16-2011, 11:51 PM

I have made several this past year, and I always picked out the fabric and design. In all the years I have been quilting, I have never had a quilt snubbed by the receiptient until this year. She didn't like the bright TATW, so when I left, I took the quilt with me. I usually attempt to find out the Nursery scheme. But if I can't, then I make whatever I feel would be appropriate. I have made some really bright primary colour baby quilts, soft country colours, and gender specific quilts.
    Old 12-17-2011, 02:06 AM
    Power Poster

i've made tons of baby quilts over the years- some a mom to be told me what (theme) her nursery was going to be- i went from there- some a grandmother to be brought me fabric- some i just heard so & so is expecting---and first i found out if she planned to find out ahead of time (what) she was having---if so i would wait for the (verdict) then make a quilt- if she was not going to find out then i would make one more appropriate for either-
    i don't quite understand this---i've in 35 years never seen this happen---most of the girls i know when they are 2 or 3 are using their quilts for their (baby dolls) some keep their baby blankets forever

(The main reason I don't use baby prints is I don't want the girls rejecting the quilt when they're two or three because it's "too baby" for them now.

that being said- unless a parent request something very 'baby-ish' i use kid's prints that grow with the child---not so much really baby-ish...but i can think of 6 or 7 adults who still have their (baby quilts) tucked away---even if at some point they decide they are too old for them- after a while they go back to them--cherish them. i have a brother in law (in his 40s') who's baby quilt was a security blanket that went to school with him---went to college with him- he's not (baby-ish) or unmanly---he is very masculine- married 2 kids- an engineer---and keeps that old rag in a dresser drawer---
    my daughter (35) still has the one i made her while pregnant---pretty worn & faded---it's been dragged around-used & abused for 35 years-it was one she would throw fits over if we left the house without it.
    make baby quilts to be used---babies spit up & among other things---it needs to be washable-dryable * durable---and it will be much loved for many many years-and possibly multi=generational
    Old 12-17-2011, 04:57 AM

I am going to start on one right after Christmas. I chose the fabric (Nana) and it is brights. It is for my 3rd grandson. The other two have baby quilts which are also non traditional brights. I just think Babies need that stimulation. my 2 cents .
    Old 12-17-2011, 05:09 AM

Just found out we are going to be grandparents for the first time. Asked daughter what she is going to decorate with and ordered embroidery patterns for Nursery Rhymes. Already started 3 quilts! She doesn't know yet if she will find out the sex of the baby, so one is for a boy, one is for a girl and one is neutral! We have 6 children, so I know I will eventually use the other quilts! Can you tell I am one excited grandmother to be? I would definitely ask the pregnant one. Sometimes kids don't have the same taste as their parents....
    Old 12-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Working on one now using Irish print I saw posted on the board ... the baby is due in March and the family is IRISH. The fabric was purchased at Joann's. I think it will be so cute..double Irish Chain...
    Old 12-17-2011, 10:58 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt
    Working on one now using Irish print I saw posted on the board ... the baby is due in March and the family is IRISH. The fabric was purchased at Joann's. I think it will be so cute..double Irish Chain...
    Sharon,

Your post illustrates why we always try to have several shamrock fabrics available, all year long. If there's an Irish baby on the way, why not make an Irish quilt? How perfect!
    Attached Images    

Last edited by Favorite Fabrics; 12-17-2011 at 11:01 AM.