Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you made a Twisted Pinwheel Quilt...need help >
  • Have you made a Twisted Pinwheel Quilt...need help

• Have you made a Twisted Pinwheel Quilt...need help

Old 09-01-2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
    When I made mine, I only cut one row and sewed that, then cut my next row. I know I would have gotten really mixed up if I tried to do any more than that. It may have taken a bit longer, but didn't want to have any problems putting it together. Yes, please share a picture!
    This is how I have done mine -- took a class and the teacher said if that is the only thing we remembered from the class we would have our moneys worth.
    Old 09-01-2012, 02:23 PM

I also took a class and the instructor said to do one row at a time or we would get very mixed up. I guess she was right. The one problem I had was the very first cut I had the template up side down, and rather than stopping right then I continued and tried to sew that one last. I had a terrible time and of course there was no more fabric to cut a new piece. It too me days, but I finally got it done. I'll never do that again!!!
    Sue
    Old 09-01-2012, 03:45 PM

Do one row at a time ask me how I know. When you do you will get addicted.
    Old 09-01-2012, 07:20 PM

I just figured right from the start I would have trouble so I laid out (near my sewing machine) 2 rows.As I sewed the row together moved that off and put up the next row. That way I always had the half pinwheel to compare with. I kind of have dyslexia so I have to be careful with everything. Double check sometimes multiple times.Sigh I feel your pain
    Old 09-01-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    what was interesting about this pertecular top as my friend did every other square in WHITE, so the pinwheels stand alone rather than intertwining together....which of course make it that much harder to put together.......
    Am drinking a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    Maybe that's why you're having so much trouble!!! LOL!
    Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 PM

Don't beat yourself up over the woulda, coulda, shouldas. We all learn from our oopsies. I don't cut all the way from corner to corner around the blocks. To start sewing the blocks together I take my snips and cut the corners of 2 blocks and sew, more snipping and another block is added. More snipping....... hey, I get my exercise and my little brain doesn't get too addled. ;~)

piney
    Old 09-26-2012, 10:42 AM

We had our first hot air baloon festival here in little "ole" Sequim WA this month and some of those same balloons were here. I recognize them and have pictures of all of them that we here we had 12 in all 3 of which were big bees. I am having same problem with the twister, i sew the squares together, cut them out but none of the pinwheels have 4 matching sections. looks like a paint ball contest. There must be a way to lay the colors out before sewing the original squares together so when cut out they will all fit together each making a full pinwheel of its own color. If you ever found help or there is a book or diagram I can purchase, please let me know
    Thanks,
    Evelyn
    PS mine is for a xmas stocking I bought the pattern from Bean Counter and it is just adorable even with irratic fabric positioning
    Old 09-26-2012, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
    Do you by chance have the leftover fabric from where you cut the squares ? Maybe that can help you get the block placement back in order ?

Does that make sense ?
    That's what I was going to suggest!
    Old 09-26-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by evelyn5269
    We had our first hot air baloon festival here in little "ole" Sequim WA this month and some of those same balloons were here. I recognize them and have pictures of all of them that we here we had 12 in all 3 of which were big bees. I am having same problem with the twister, i sew the squares together, cut them out but none of the pinwheels have 4 matching sections. looks like a paint ball contest. There must be a way to lay the colors out before sewing the original squares together so when cut out they will all fit together each making a full pinwheel of its own color. If you ever found help or there is a book or diagram I can purchase, please let me know
    Thanks,
    Evelyn
    PS mine is for a xmas stocking I bought the pattern from Bean Counter and it is just adorable even with irratic fabric positioning
    I finally figured out my pieces, here is the finished quilt.....
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t201571.html

Are you sewing ALL your pieces together at once.....

You sew a simple larger than needed quilt of blocks.....I believe they say it will reduce in size 30%
    then you start to cut your twister pieces. Do one row at a time, I started left to right....was finding that I
    was over cutting into the next block so I used a pencil first and marked my cutting lines so I didn't over-cut from one block into another. If you have a planning board this is a perfect time to use it, cut your first put it on the board
    cut the next, and the next....when you are done with first row, then start the second row..... (I didn't do this just cut and stacked and whatever...big mistake)....It was a huge learning curve for me, but I did it....if you need more help PLEASE....PM me and I will help you any way I can....it is way fun once you figure it out !!!!!
    Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
    When I made mine, I only cut one row and sewed that, then cut my next row. I know I would have gotten really mixed up if I tried to do any more than that. It may have taken a bit longer, but didn't want to have any problems putting it together. Yes, please share a picture!
    That is the same way I did mine... one row at a time. I was worried if I did it differently, I would totally hose it.
    I should make another one of those. It was kind of fun