Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hawthorne Supply Digitally Printed Fabric >
  • Hawthorne Supply Digitally Printed Fabric

• Hawthorne Supply Digitally Printed Fabric

Old 01-22-2020, 06:47 PM

Default Hawthorne Supply Digitally Printed Fabric

Hi,
    im looking to order one of Hawthorne Supply's (was Hawthorne Threads) house brand digitally printed lines of fabric for a king sized quilt. Since it will be a significant investment in time and money (wedding gift quilt), I’m looking for feedback from anyone who has worked with the fabric and can give me a sense of whether it is a decent quality and how colourfast it is. I think the colours are exactly what I’m looking for and I love the fabric designs.
    Many thanks,
    Kathy
    Old 01-22-2020, 06:48 PM

I get their emails and wondering the same.
    Old 01-23-2020, 01:48 AM

Hawthorne Threads Supply has been one of my favorite online shops. In fact, I just ordered again from them this morning.

Their fabrics are great quality, and with many of the designs, you can choose between quilting cotton, poplin, and knits. They also have wallpapers that match many of their fabrics.
    So many of their in house designs and colors are so pretty.

I've never had any problems with the colors fading... but I haven't had any of their fabric longer than maybe 3 years or so. Washed only a few times and only in warm water.

Lots of their fabrics come in several different widths too. Not just 44" wide. (44", 2448", 56", etc.)

And, all the fabrics I've ordered, with the exception of panels, have a white band along the selvage edge that is approx 4" wide, outside the printed field. I use this bonus fabric for practice pieces and to get tensions set. I also use it in projects as regular white quilting fabric.

They also have really great customer service. Here is a comment I posted last June about their customer service. Comment #24: The One That Got Away

Here are other opinions from a previous thread here:
    Anyone use Hawthorne Threads fabric?

Last edited by mindless; 01-23-2020 at 02:02 AM.
    Old 01-23-2020, 07:12 AM

Thank you for your comments mindless. I have purchased quite a bit of fabric from Hawthorne in the past, but I think it’s been mostly name brand fabric, but their service has been fantastic. Their designs are great and I really like the Hide and Seek fabric you used, mentioned in your post, which I didn’t see when I searched earlier. I’ve been on the hunt for specific colours and having found it there in a pattern I like, makes it pretty irresistible. I appreciate your insight!
    Old 01-23-2020, 11:38 AM

My experience was pretty similar to Mindless's except my project is still in progress, so I have only prewashed. The fabrics didn't fade after washing.

The thing I really like about print-on-demand fabric is if I need more down the road, I can order it and they'll print it. I find that very appealing.
    Old 01-23-2020, 01:04 PM

I just saw a chat on you tube recently with Leah Day about how digitally printed fabrics are becoming a bonafied quilting trend. I'll be very interested to see how this takes shape.
    Don't have any experience with this company but I'm going to check them out.
    Old 01-24-2020, 10:12 AM

I have used their digitally printed fabric and it is nice. My one complaint is that a black stripe I bought once did not seem as dark as the black on my conventional fabrics. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them, they are a great company, imo.