Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Heat N Bond Lite >
  • Heat N Bond Lite

• Heat N Bond Lite

Old 10-05-2010, 03:51 PM

I do a log of applique and some time ago (6 months?) I bought a whole bolt of Heat N Bond Lite. On my last two projects, I've noticed that the edges of the appliques are peeling up before I can stitch them down. Is this a problem from using starch? Or is it a problem with the aging of the Heat N Bond? Something else? I would appreciate your input.
    Old 10-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Sometimes overheating the product while ironing it on can cause it to not "stick" properly.
    Old 10-05-2010, 03:57 PM

Don't know about the starch, but have not had any problem with mine coming up, so it's possible it could be possible overheating.

Cheryl
    Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
    Sometimes overheating the product while ironing it on can cause it to not "stick" properly.
    I wonder if that's what I did. I stuck it extra long thinking that would help. The last time I used it I noticed some of the edges not sticking and so this time, I heated it REALLY well. Maybe I shot myself in the foot.
    Old 10-05-2010, 04:05 PM

I think the starch is your problem.
    Old 10-05-2010, 04:22 PM
    Power Poster

I have occasionally had the same problem with starched fabric. Now I iron on the applique and then starch the backing :wink:
    Old 10-05-2010, 05:54 PM

I use heat and bond lite ... ALOT . I purchase by the bolt . A couple of notes on Heat and Bind lite. Yes starch affects the ability to bond to the fabric, do not starch if you want the best possible adhesion. If you over heat the fabrics it will just absorb without bonding into the fabric. When making the applique put the heat and bond on with the iron on ployester. you will know you did not over heat if it has a somewhat milky color. When you put it on the fabric use a slightly higher temp than the poly ester, not cotton.
    I have used the higher temps but only for a very few seconds.
    Do let the heat and bond set , in other words , let it cool to room temp before sewing. The higher the temp of the iron and the longer you use the iron on the spot the worse the adhesion will be.
    One additional note do not use it on most batiks ... it stains the fabric( permanetly) . There is some kind of reaction between the chemical residue in some of the batiks and the heat and bond. Test first !! It will show up when the item is sewn on and you are doing a final press at the cotton setting. I found out the hard way. Other brands do not have this issue with batiks. I keep Wonder under and Steam a Seam for my batiks and never had an issue.
    Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 PM

Another tip, if it's lifting it may have dried out. I stuck the whole roll in the deep freeze & have had no problem since, I presume the moisture helped to renew it.
    Old 10-05-2010, 07:31 PM
    np3
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S
    I use heat and bond lite ... ALOT . I purchase by the bolt . A couple of notes on Heat and Bind lite. Yes starch affects the ability to bond to the fabric, do not starch if you want the best possible adhesion. If you over heat the fabrics it will just absorb without bonding into the fabric. When making the applique put the heat and bond on with the iron on ployester. you will know you did not over heat if it has a somewhat milky color. When you put it on the fabric use a slightly higher temp than the poly ester, not cotton.
    I have used the higher temps but only for a very few seconds.
    Do let the heat and bond set , in other words , let it cool to room temp before sewing. The higher the temp of the iron and the longer you use the iron on the spot the worse the adhesion will be.
    One additional note do not use it on most batiks ... it stains the fabric( permanetly) . There is some kind of reaction between the chemical residue in some of the batiks and the heat and bond. Test first !! It will show up when the item is sewn on and you are doing a final press at the cotton setting. I found out the hard way. Other brands do not have this issue with batiks. I keep Wonder under and Steam a Seam for my batiks and never had an issue.
    Wow, what great information. Thanks for the ideas.
    Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks for the tips!