Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >
  • Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

• Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-16-2011, 09:02 AM

Right on! therapy thats what we'll call it.
    LOL :wink:
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:11 AM

I have only been quilting for a few years and I needed to clean out my stash. It was so hard. I picked out a storage tub of material that I deemed not useable and am giving it to poor folks in Zimbabwe. I can't wait for them to pack the carton at the end of the month because I have looked through the tub several times to "make sure" I won't be using this material. Fabric is addictive!
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:11 AM

Oh this is so much fun reading about all of you that have the same addiction as I do. Sooooo glad Niecie Nash can't see my stash.... :shock:
    But there is an up side of all of this...if you can't make it to the quilt shop you have your very own store right at home. :D
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:14 AM

I have not bought fabric since Jan 1, 2011.(GASP)
    6 friends have challenged each other.. who can go the longest without buy fabric???
    4 are still in.
    Here's a hint...
    Do not-- I repeat--
    DO NOT go into any fabric store!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other thing that has helped me is that I am so swamped at work I have not touched my sewing machine in weeks. I am a bit grumpy-which I have attributed to my workload but I am sure part of it has to do with rarely crossing the threshold of my sewing room--GASP...
    I may play with fabric this weekend --maybe I'll at least touch some batiks..
    It is a painful process but you can take care of those beautiful UFO's and kits!!!
    Remember why you bought that beautiful fabric and be re-inspried!!
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:21 AM

RFBRAZELL, with all of that fabric in your quilting room you woud think that it would be nice and cozy warm, and without drafts.
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:23 AM

We all have a story! When I go for supplies I only "see" green and purple these days. I'm hooked on the combo. So, to get me out of that, I get fat quarters (OH HOW I LOVE THEM) from several websites each month to expand my palette a bit. Well, need I say more? There are days I'm afraid to open the quilting closet door for fear of an avalanche!
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:24 AM

Welcome Michael. I too am a fabric hoarder. I am drowning in stash thank to my friends and all the 1/4 yards I have bought that I plan to use later. When my friends found out that I was learning to quilt they cleaned out their fabric stash and their mothers and aunts who no longer sew. I did reach a point when I had to say Stooooooooooooooooooop. I have tried to start organizing and boy is it overwhelming.
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:27 AM

Michael, I don't feel so bad about my 'bad habit' now! lol...you are definitely not alone! I even called an online company about NOT getting fabric I ordered last week and I found it under a pile of other fabric I had either bought from them or from Joann's! Then, with egg on my face, had to contact them and say, "um, oops. You're going to laugh, I hope, when I tell you this..."
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:28 AM

okay. I said that wrong! I didn't order the material LAST week, I call the company LAST week! I had ordered the material a month ago! ;) My typing is faster than my thought process!!
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by N.J.linda
    RFBRAZELL, with all of that fabric in your quilting room you woud think that it would be nice and cozy warm, and without drafts.
    The attic isn't insulated or the west window wall so when we get on those western storms move in from the sound....it is bone chilling up stairs, so we just winterize up stairs and close the door. If i need something from up stair I'll bribe the grandkids to go up.LOL