Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >
  • Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

• Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-16-2011, 08:45 PM

It is good that you have a purpose for some of your quilts for charity, Those things always make you feel good and you can let your self flow into some good ideas for quilts, I have seen many people so appreciative when you do something for them, Quilts seem to be as good as oatmeal cookies and a glass of milk for some people because you care about them, :thumbup: :P
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:03 PM

I live in the country and if I want to start a project, it sure is nice to have some fabric on hand. I don't always have the correct or enought of some fabric, howver it is great to have some on hand. When I have my cupboards and closets brimming over I will think I have enough. I am about half way there! Teehee, I have lots of cupboards! I don't want to spend money foolhardly though. So I am very careful on my foolishness in spending. I have a budget for fabric that I am trying to stick with.
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:11 PM
    Power Poster

Welcome to the club. I have cut WAAAAAAY back on fabric buying because my room (or rather ALL of the storage in it) is FULL.
    Old 04-16-2011, 09:22 PM

Hi Michael...welcome to the club...LOL...I just chuckled through your whole post knodding my head as I saw myself within each line!! :lol: :D
    Old 04-17-2011, 03:48 AM

I think the uniqueness and beauty of new fabric and designs draws me in to those got-to-have-it fabrics. I've looked at some of my own stash so many times as I've searched for the right combinations that those fabrics are not as unique and interesting any more. It's rather like window shopping and viewing something so many times that now you don't want it any more. That used to happen to me as I walked the circuit at the mall for exercise every evening after work. When my husband and I were in the Peace Corps in the Philippines, we decided to wait to buy any beautiful wood products. Thank goodness that kept us from bringing home the three-tiered lazy susan with the water buffalo on the top. : )
    Old 04-17-2011, 03:55 AM

Makes me feel better that one of the "GUYS" is admitting he has a problem. Us ladies don't have problems, we have a purpose in life.
    The more fabric we have the bigger our purpose is.

Believe that one, and I have a 3 legged horse out back that I will sell you!!!

Carol from NC
    Old 04-17-2011, 05:24 AM

It's harder to quit buying fabric than to quit smoking. I have over 70 complete kits, and I don't know how much fabric. I try to make at least 10 quilts per year. All queen and king. I am trying not to buy anything this year, but have managed to buy 4 more kits because they were all the bargain of a lifetime. I think I buy because I can't piece during tax time. I was only able to hand applique at night 3 or 4 times. Now that tax time is over, I am eager to get to my machine. I also have a statler stitcher in the garage that hasn't been turned on since December. Hopefully this will cure me from buying until I am down to 5 kits!
    Old 04-17-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by lyndaloo

I don't think the anonymous 12 step program would work for us. We'd never get past step one. For instance, I would get up and say "My name is Lynda and I'm a fabriholic. I have tons of fabric and I keep buying more. I want to stop, but "The Quilt Shoppe" has a great sale on and..." At this point there would be a stampede to get out of the room and get to the cars and head for "The Quilt Shoppe."

Stay with us, we'll enable you every chance we get!
    Too funny...I almost burst out laughing when I read this (and I was trying to read quietly because my dh was studying!)
    Old 04-17-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by lclang
    I had plenty of my own and then inherited my mom's generous stash so I guess I could be called a hoarder at this point. I have two large 6 foot high cupboards full, a slightly smaller steel cupboard full, two large steel shelf units full and extras stuffed under my tables. Not going to part with any of it. I'm trying to sew my way out and it's slow going but lots of fun! I really am trying not to buy any more fabric unless I HAVE to have it to finish something.
    I like this thought--I vow to try to sew my way out, too!!
    Old 04-17-2011, 06:32 AM

Michael you made two mistakes in your post-"it'll be hard to QUILT COLD TURKEY"-it would be hard to quilt that, but on the hand, if someone would just bring you cold turey sandwich & a drink0ya won't have to get up.- you'll breeze thru everything! LOL!! #2- If you used your DISCOVER(card) for all those purchases, you racked up some awesome bonus bucks!! Just kidding!there are some great jellyroll books out there! I've made 2-the 1 I will make again! "jitterbug"-turned out beautiful!!