Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder >
  • Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

• Hello my name is Michael and I'm a Fabric Hoarder

Old 04-17-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by hoppa
    Michael,

Welcome to the club. Just last wewek I decided to organize the piles of fabric and I am up to 4 totes and that is just quilting fabric.
    Sorry, Jeff, but 4 totes just doesn't qualify as a hoarder...it's NOTHING!
    Old 04-17-2011, 06:53 AM

I have a quilt I want to do, I purchased it a year and a half ago. It is lost in my sewing room. I really hope it is really in there somewhere.

On the lighter side, whenever possible I try to use one fabric from my stash in my projects. Sometimes, I am successful. There are many times I say, "better luck next time".

With the price of fabrics going up, I have some really good deals in my stash.
    Old 04-17-2011, 07:23 AM

O.K. - I'm up off the floor from laughing now. I read every one of these posts and I can't believe how similar so many of us are. I had mentioned putting together a "catalog" of sorts with the projects that you have in house. And then I jokingly said I'd do it after I went to the LQS.....well..yesterday my girlfriend called and asked if I wanted to ride with on a road trip to pick up a quilt of hers from a LAQ and drop one off. Conveniently enough, this LAQ uses a LQS as a pick up/drop off point for her business. Well, our road trip to drop off/pick up turned into a FART - we hit three quilt stores (the last one was the best - BIG sale going on) and I managed to bring home the fixings for three more projects!!! I REALLY have a problem - better get off this board and working on that catalog.
    Old 04-17-2011, 07:49 AM

lmao! i also said i wasnt going to buy more fabric because i have enough to make tons of quilts, but what did i do? went out and bought some anyway... LOL!
    Old 04-17-2011, 08:24 AM

write down all the UFO's you have and all the kits you have to make. Post it on your wall and work off THAT list !.....this is what I do....(then I just change the year on my UFO list...LOL )
    Old 04-17-2011, 08:25 AM

this has been the best hour to sit and read all the posts that everyone sent ot Mike, so that he doesn't feel bad about having too much fabric. I don't feel one bit guilty about all the fabric that I have as my husband has a whole salvage yard out here on the farm and he will never get all his projects done before he can no longer do them as he is already 66 and having a hard time getting around as he has uncle art visiting him too. I have told him for years that it was going to hit him someday, but he didn't believe me. Soo that being said everytime I go to Minot I try to hit either hobby lobby or Joann's. Joann's usually has the best deals as I get two of their ads in the mail plus emails with coupons. I also have many sewing machines, but only two that are really nice and worth some money. I will have to will all my stash to youngest daughter or else third daughter will maybe throw it away.
    Old 04-17-2011, 09:01 AM

I love all these posts. Michael- you DO NOT have a problem. Or if you do, it's not out of control.

Here's something to ponder-

the credit card bill came in and hubby says- $200 for JC Penney. I say yes, for clothes for ds and I. He says OK. I think to myself- that's $200 that I could have spent on fabric.

When you get to the point that you don't want to buy food or clothes, time to prioritize.

I'm working on organizing and de-stashing by giving fabric to my sisters and bff who are learning to quilt. My stash has not gone down, I have freshened the supply. But it's my only vice- so as long as I'm able to afford it, I will continue to add to my stash and share with others.
    Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barbm
    the credit card bill came in and hubby says- $200 for JC Penney. I say yes, for clothes for ds and I. He says OK. I think to myself- that's $200 that I could have spent on fabric.
    I recently had a series of doctor appointments because my wrists hurt. In the end, I payed $150 to know that my wrists hurt. (no diagnosis) The comment to my husband: "I already knew that my hands hurt for free. Just think of all the fabric I could have bought for $150." lol
    Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM

Carla, dive in and wear a snorkel just in case!!! Guys, with prices going up, uup, up I just figure get fabric while the getting is good!!!! I am 57 and I plan to will all my stash to my niece...just want to be sure she has enough, too!! tee hee
    Old 04-17-2011, 09:57 AM

Oh Michael, you are truly among friends. I have been building my stash for 20 years. My DH had to build a 45x45x55 foot barn to assist me. I am also a teacher, so must keep adding to my teaching tools!
    Lots of tops not many quilts.
    I too have found some kits i'd forgotten about. They are old now and so much else is new. If you want, share them with senior centers that have a quilters group. Or send to some devastated area to help quilters who have lost their stash.
    I shared some of my UFO's with a class-one to each student as a National Quilter's Day gift. Actually a gift to me as I made some space in this world of cloth I call home.
    There now, admitting you have a problem is a step on the road to recovery.
    Who am I kidding, I DO NOT want to recover.
    Blessings Pegeth