Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with all beige quilt >
  • Help with all beige quilt

• Help with all beige quilt

Old 02-03-2015, 02:50 PM

Go to the Martingale website www.shopmartingale.com and look at 3 books that highlight neutrals (although some have some dark in them). Spotlight on Neutrals, Knockout Neutrals and Modern Neutrals. I you click on the see more images (sometimes it takes me 2 clicks) you will see all of the quilts in the book which might give you some ideas and if you really like one and can't figure it out you can order - even ebook so you have it right now. In fact the Curved Log Cabin in Neutrals mentioned above is in one of them.
    Old 02-03-2015, 03:22 PM

While this is a more costly approach, why not consider a comination of ombre fabrics and some hand dyed...then a "pop" fabric or two, still in the beige family, dropped into the layout to create a bit of visual drama?
    Old 02-04-2015, 06:51 AM
    Power Poster

Ditto for me. There was a picture of a Log Cabin here recently done in light ecru colors that I found stunning. I want to make a table runner for a friend's daughter for her wedding (under photos?). I was told that the brides color are pink and champagne. I need 8 fabrics of difference in value for the pattern to work. This is going to be a challenge.
    Old 02-04-2015, 06:55 AM

Pat Wys has two neutral books with great quilt patterns in them. They may be the ones that quiltstringz suggested. The titles sound familiar. One that I remember is a beautiful neutral log cabin. They have great ideas.
    Old 02-04-2015, 07:11 AM
    Power Poster

Google "monochromatic Neutral quilts" for images only or quilting in neutral colors. You will find loads of ideas from very complex to very simple.

I also recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Neutral...s+by+amy+ellis
    Old 02-04-2015, 07:19 AM

I think a Trip Around the World quilt would be stunning in neutrals, shading from dark to light then back. I make Trip around the world with eight fabrics using 3 -1/2 in. squares, setting straight which is called sunshine and shadows.
    Old 02-04-2015, 07:29 AM

Alex Anderson wrote a book several years ago about neutral quilts, it has many gorgeous patterns in it. My biggest take-away from it was you really need to have white or a very, very light neutral to make it sparkle. She included photos of "with" and "without" white, and it really does make a huge difference. The "without" examples just looked dull and muddy.
    Old 02-04-2015, 08:24 AM

I agree with what everyone says – stay open minded, and you will be surprised. Neutral quilts can be very beautiful once you dig in and start working with the fabrics.
    Old 02-04-2015, 11:34 AM

Check out this quilt at Stitchin' Heaven. http://store.stitchinheaven.com/stor...3&Item_ID=7043 You can either purchase the kit or the pattern.

Here's the blurb on it:

We all love milk chocolate, but just wait till you get a taste of White Chocolate! It is a Stitchin' Heaven Original designed by our very own Debby Luttrell. In beautiful neutrals with a variety of small florals and tone-on-tone fabrics, this quilt is a yummy treat! The kit includes the fabric for the top and binding. The pattern is included, but can also be found in McCall's August 2007 magazine, which is available separately. Finished quilt measures approx 92.5" x 104.5".
    Old 02-04-2015, 11:45 AM
    lbc

I have a friend whose daughter wanted an all white quilt. She used different patterns but tried to keep the white the same shade and it turned out beautiful--especially after it was quilted.