Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with Applique - tight inner curves >
  • Help with Applique - tight inner curves

• Help with Applique - tight inner curves

Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 AM

I found this video part 1 and 2 very helpful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDBl...eature=related
    Old 05-05-2012, 02:12 PM

Thanks so much for your advice.

I decided not to use the piece photographed for the main quilt, as I had put the fray stop glue on earlier - and it leached onto the front. I didn't realize how runny the fray stop was. I was worried that what I used would yellow and spoil my quilt top.

I've prepared another piece to practice on - the same shape. This time I cut only half way into the seam allowance. I also made sure that the seam allowance was a scant 1/4". When I starched the seam allowance and pressed to the wrong side - this time I started with the main parts. I left the inner curves to the last when I just did one "swish" over the top. Doing that didn't seem to cause as much damage as my first piece.

Rather than throw these 2 pieces out, I'm reusing them and am making a cover for my work diary.

Here's the progress I made last night:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]333029[/ATTACH]

When I was appliquing the inner curves, I more or less needle turned - and pinned it well into place. The stitches I did in the curves were closer together.

Not sure how it will hold up in the wash. Using it as a work diary - where it will see a lot of heavy use (and washing) should give me a good idea.

Through this process I had a few more questions.

I am disappointed with the thread I used on the shape on the left. I used one color - a purple - it shows up horribly on the pink. Should I change the color of the thread depending on what's on the fabric, e.g. should I have used pink on the pink edges?

Also - if you can't get a color match with the thread you are using (if it was a one color fabric) - do you go a fraction lighter or a fraction darker?
    Attached Thumbnails 2012_0506.jpg  
    Old 05-05-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiQuilter
    I am disappointed with the thread I used on the shape on the left. I used one color - a purple - it shows up horribly on the pink. Should I change the color of the thread depending on what's on the fabric, e.g. should I have used pink on the pink edges?

Also - if you can't get a color match with the thread you are using (if it was a one color fabric) - do you go a fraction lighter or a fraction darker?
    I like using silk thread, in neutral colors. That way I don't have to worry about color, and the thread is so fine it disappears. If you don't like using silk, a lightweight cotton thread (60 weight) will also work.

I think your practice pieces look great - and I wouldn't worry about the purple thread. No one else will see it like you do, anyway.

Janet
    Old 05-05-2012, 03:29 PM

I tried the same method (freezer paper & starch) It looked as if your seam allowances were a little skimpy in the curves. The ones you finished look beautiful. I'm still trying to master different methods of applique...........back basting, traditional needle turn. You only get better with practice. Good luck!!!!
    Old 05-07-2012, 05:16 PM

IF I am doing needle turn... I use the light or the dark silk thread... no colour... it blends very well... sorry no examples as it's been awhile.
    Your work looks lovely and as we all know.... you are your own worst critic.....
    Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 PM

FrayCheck gets HARD. I don't think you would be happy with it.