Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help! Aunt Grace Circle of Friends BOM pattern >
  • Help! Aunt Grace Circle of Friends BOM pattern

• Help! Aunt Grace Circle of Friends BOM pattern

Old 06-19-2018, 03:35 AM

Default Help! Aunt Grace Circle of Friends BOM pattern

I purchased Aunt Grace Circle of Friends BOM pattern from 2010 that is no longer in circulation. I do not have the large or small Dresden plates sheets. Do you know of a resource where I can purchase Dresden plate templates that will work? Here is the link to a picture of the pattern. http://marcusfabrics.com/cms/upload/...riends_BOM.pdf

Thanks!
    Old 06-19-2018, 04:33 AM
    bj

If you can’t find the Dresden pattern that works, maybe look for a block pattern the same size that you like and substitute it. I made a sampler quilt that had an appliquéd basket in the middle that I didn’t really like, so I substituted in a Carpenter’s Wheel block that was pieced. I really liked the way it turned out.
    Old 06-19-2018, 07:23 AM

What a charming quilt! I love the Bloom Creek aesthetic.
    Old 06-19-2018, 08:20 AM
    Power Poster

Not sure now as I bought template a few years ago, at that time Joann's had them.
    Old 06-19-2018, 10:03 AM

I agree with bj. Consider substituting the missing 'block' with something else. For the smaller Dresden blocks pieces, simply make a circle the same size as the 'flower' and applique it in place.
    Old 06-19-2018, 10:08 AM

I agree that I may have to substitute it. I just really like the look of the double Dresden circle.

Originally Posted by bj
    If you can’t find the Dresden pattern that works, maybe look for a block pattern the same size that you like and substitute it. I made a sampler quilt that had an appliquéd basket in the middle that I didn’t really like, so I substituted in a Carpenter’s Wheel block that was pieced. I really liked the way it turned out.
    Old 06-19-2018, 10:24 AM

When I clicked on your link, a pdf file automatically landed on my desktop. Cute BOM!
    Quiltsmart has preprinted interfacing that has the dresden plate on it . Don't know if you have ever tried this method, but it makes the dresden easy to do. (They have lots of other patterns too).
    https://www.quiltsmart.com/Item/classic_dresdenplate

You can buy just the interfacing by itself also:

https://www.quiltsmart.com/Item/inte...g_dresdenplate

Last edited by mindless; 06-19-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    Old 06-19-2018, 11:17 AM

The center dresden plate has sixteen blades, so they are 22.5 degrees each (360 degrees is a full circle, divided by sixteen is 22.5 degrees each). You can make your own templates for the blades since you know that size. You probably know the size of the entire center block, right? So you can look at the photo and judge how long to make the blades/how large to make the center dresden plate.

Now for the outer ring: It's made of end chunks of blades which look wider than those in the center dresden plate, and we don't know the diameter of the ring. If I were you, I'd draw a paper mock up of that center dresden plate, then experiment with end chunks of wider paper blades until I got an outer ring that was pleasing. Then those paper blades are your pattern, which you can use to make a more durable template out of plastic.
    Old 06-19-2018, 04:59 PM

another free dresden plate template set, and tutorial:
    http://www.lovepatchworkandquilting....lates-tutorial
    Old 06-19-2018, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy
    The center dresden plate has sixteen blades, so they are 22.5 degrees each (360 degrees is a full circle, divided by sixteen is 22.5 degrees each). You can make your own templates for the blades since you know that size. You probably know the size of the entire center block, right? So you can look at the photo and judge how long to make the blades/how large to make the center dresden plate.

Now for the outer ring: It's made of end chunks of blades which look wider than those in the center dresden plate, and we don't know the diameter of the ring. If I were you, I'd draw a paper mock up of that center dresden plate, then experiment with end chunks of wider paper blades until I got an outer ring that was pleasing. Then those paper blades are your pattern, which you can use to make a more durable template out of plastic.
    Thanks so much! I appreciate the info and I will draw a paper mock up. The outer ring will be more challenging.