• Main
  • Help with baby quilt design needed. >
  • Help with baby quilt design needed.

• Help with baby quilt design needed.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sharonquilts
    I just made a quilt I found on Pinterest that was from Lo, Ray and Me

http://onelaststitch.blogspot.com/20...quilt.html?m=1

Unfortunately, I forgot to make a photo of it before I gifted. Its more modern and you can do straight -line quilting. HOWEVER, I will tell you there is an error in the cutting instructions for the vertical piece (too short) ... should be an inch or more longer than noted. The quilt is suppose to finish 43 1/2 by 43 1/2. You may want to cut the wide strips and blocks about 1/2 inch smaller. After squaring up my backing fabric there was barely enough width which gave me no extra on sides to square up the whole quilt after quilting.

It is very easy to put together and if you make the adjustments I noted, you should have no problem.
    Thank you, needed pattern too, dd pregnant and her friends!!!
    Old 10-11-2015, 09:31 AM

There are a lot of baby quilt ideas in our gallery: http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/q...ery-36607.html
    Old 10-11-2015, 09:41 AM

There are plenty of options for piecing out there & other QB'ers have already given some great suggestions, but with 3 weeks to go & this being your first time quilting something, one option I'd consider is just making it a whole cloth quilt (with or without borders). The MM moon & stars fabric is beautiful enough that you wouldn't need to piece it if you don't want to. You could just get out a Crayola Ultra Clean marker & a straight edge and quilt straight lines every 2". You could make the lines diagonal if you want the quilting squares to be on point.

I did that for a client's quilt once because she wanted a baby quilt that featured fabric from her late husband's comforter to give to her new granddaughter. You need 1.5 yards of the MM fabric & 1.5 yards of your backing fabric. All I did was cut the fabric into a 38.5" x 48.5" rectangle. Then, I cut 3" wide strips for the borders (3.5" x 48.5" for each of the sides and 3.5" x 38" for the top & bottom). If you set your stitch length at 1.5mm (roughly 18 stitches/in), you can just press your seams open. You can buy a Craft/Crib size cotton batting. I really love Warm & Plush batting when I can find it (at Joann), but Warm & Natural is also a nice option.

Then, draw your lines on your quilt top with the Ultra Clean markers starting at the center. Work your way to each corner & then repeat in the opposite direction. Quilt using a walking foot with stitch length at 2.5 (12 stitches/inch), following the lines you drew. Cut your binding strips at 2.5" x Width of Fabric. You need to cut 5 of those strips. A 3/8 yard of the binding fabric should be sufficient, but I'd get 1/2 of a yard to be safe. If you've never made binding before, check out this video by McCall's to get a very, very detailed step-by-step tutorial:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=7Hha94oe3XA

Attach your binding & if you can, add a quilt label to the back with a sweet message or just a record that you were the one who made the quilt. Here's how:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCUitoBDT8

I'll try & post a picture of the quilt I made later to show the result. Good luck! I'm sure whatever you decide will be just beautiful.

PS -- 50wt cotton thread for the quilting will help to hide any little errors one might make. I found using that weight of thread helpful when I was first learning to quilt because it nicely blended with my fabric, but was still strong enough to hold all 3 layers together with weekly washing as long as it's washed in cold & dried with low heat. My preferred brand is Aurifil -- available at LQS -- but there are many wonderful 100% cotton threads that are available in 50wt or 60wt.

Last edited by Bree123; 10-11-2015 at 09:46 AM.
    Old 10-11-2015, 10:09 AM
    Power Poster

One of the easiest quilt patterns in my opinion is the Triple Rail Fence. I taught it to a newbie quilter and hers turned out great. The key is in the fabrics and it is best if there is a little contrast. Good luck.
    Old 10-12-2015, 03:00 AM

so many cute ideas... I ended up adding a few of the above mentioned to my shopping cart. : P
    would love to know which one you decide on... and don't forget to post a picture
    Old 10-12-2015, 06:40 AM

This is one of the easiest and quickest I have ever made and it turns out great every time. The free pattern and some pictures can be found here.... http://www.maryquilts.com/quick-strippie/
    Old 10-12-2015, 12:05 PM

One of my favorite patterns to suggest is "My favorite donation quilt". The pattern is free online at MaryQuilts.com. It's a strippy quilt of 3 different sizes of strips, the Pattern recommends a focus fabric, a tone on tone and a contrast fabric. And the backing does not require piecing! Good luck!