Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with BHMQ Alletaire blocks >
  • Help with BHMQ Alletaire blocks

• Help with BHMQ Alletaire blocks

Old 10-20-2018, 12:18 AM

Doing a match-up with Bonnie's pattern, your orange=her red, your green=her gold, your lavender=her gray (your dark purple represents an extra color). Replacing your lavender with a grey/green floral would be like taking her allietare, eliminating the gray and replacing it with gold. In other words, rather than having your 'red' in both blocks, you'd have your 'gold' in both blocks.

Here is a photo of my Allietare for comparison (my blocks are shown on point, and I replaced the black square in block 2 with a black/neutral HST). Notice that if you replace your lavender with a green/grey floral, it will be right next to the greens of your block one in spots, which would make the pattern less clear.

I think the problem you were having is that your block one didn't relate to your block two. Since your block ones are made and you can't change those, you have to relate your block two to the block one colors, and if you want to duplicate the original color relationship, you will want to relate your block two block center to your block one outer star color. In other words, you would replace the dark purple block 2 center with something that relates to your orange of block one. Your 'gray' would ideally not repeat one of the block one colors. You want good contrast between all three colors that come together in that area -- the light neutral, the 'gray' and the 'gold.' In that respect, your lavender would function well as the gray, or you could replace it with something of equal value that isn't similar to your greens of block one.
    Attached Thumbnails 20180311_122329_resized.jpg   imgp1326_fotor.jpg  

Last edited by joe'smom; 10-20-2018 at 12:22 AM.
    Old 10-20-2018, 01:55 AM

Here are some results from an 'orange purple' search on Etsy, with the idea of replacing your dark purple in block two if you were to keep the lavender as your gray.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6080676...abric?ref=cart

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2481370...range?ref=cart

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6091289...acobs?ref=cart

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6441533...ellow?ref=cart
    Old 10-20-2018, 04:08 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602818[/ATTACH]Here is the latest rendition. The next block has the center done, but not the corners. I really want to use that purple square. I have not changed out the corners on the first block. I haven't looked at your stuff yet. Marcia
    Attached Thumbnails 20180924_075717_resized.jpg   20181020_065439_resized.jpg  
    Old 10-20-2018, 04:10 AM

The fabrics you pulled up have the light purple and not the dark one. My neighbor lady is always after me about my color choices. I explain that I have a father who is red green color blind. This is what seems right to me.]

Marcia
    Old 10-25-2018, 03:13 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603076[/ATTACH]I have changed some of the fabrics, but not the ones you wanted. I think this is going to have to work for me now. I am diligently hunting another fat quarter of that coral. I do like it much better. At first I had a green in the border, but that was so wrong. I'm having to piece some coral scraps back together. My deadline is Bonnie Hunter's visit to Shipshewana, a year from now. I'm making good progress on the blocks, but I am worried about getting my garage remodeled so I can set up the long arm.

Thanks for your help.

Marcia
    Attached Thumbnails 20181025_183535_resized.jpg  
    Old 10-26-2018, 02:38 AM

Okay, now it’s looking more cohesive with the addition of more finished blocks. Good luck finding more coral and finishing the quilt before Bonnie arrives. : 0
    Old 10-26-2018, 07:26 AM

I think that with your 'gold' 4-patches being essentially the same color as your 'gray' HSTs, you will not see the 'gold' 4-patch grid running across and vertically through the pattern that connects the star blocks and surrounds the alternate block, and which depends on the gold-gray contrast. I just point this out so you will not be disappointed after you've done all the work!
    Attached Thumbnails 20181025_183535_resized.jpg   imgp1365_fotor.jpg  

Last edited by joe'smom; 10-26-2018 at 07:35 AM.