Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • HELP Binding is wonky >
  • HELP Binding is wonky

• HELP Binding is wonky

Old 03-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Cool Wonky borders

Originally Posted by Lori S
    When working with borders is is far more likey to have them go wonky .. if you are using cross -cut/grain fabric. The cross cut stretches. Lenghtwise grain has very little stretch. The problem will magnify the wider the borders when using cross cut. There are times when I just can not bring myself to use lenghtwise , particulary for a skinny border. In those instances I starch the ..heck out of the fabric prior to cutting. I then pin the border(s) while the top is laying completely flat so I do not inadvertantly stretch while attaching.
    I had some trouble once before & was advised to use starch so from now on especially for the borders I starch the heck out of them. I used so much starch I thought they would stand up LOL. I cut my borders from selvege to selvege but I still use lots of starch. I think I used almost a full can this time & it still got wonky. I just finished the borders & they worked out ok not perfect but more than ok. Just one side was a little stinker but it finally worked out. I steamed them with my iron so that helped shrink some of the little "wonks" out. Looks ok now. Tks for the help.
    Old 03-18-2012, 03:32 PM

I have to apologize.....can I blame my age? Of course it can't be quilted and THEN the borders put on!! Until I went back and tried to figure out how to "unwave" the borders on my placemat...I didn't realize what a ridiculous post I had made!! Btw, I used fusible fleece.....maybe I should have basted the edges also?