Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • HELP!!! Breaking needles; new machine >
  • HELP!!! Breaking needles; new machine

• HELP!!! Breaking needles; new machine

Old 11-22-2011, 05:31 AM

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I really do appreciate all the advice. I just wish there was a way you could try it out and see if you can fix it! I am going to take her down and use her for sewing and make sure she's stitching. Then I'll try some FMQ off the frame. If she works, then I'll put her back and make a small quilt. If we still aren't getting along, then I'll find someone to teach me how to use it or sell it and give up on machine quilting altogether. I'm not enjoying it at all like I do hand-quilting and it's WAY too expensive! Hand-quilting is a bargain compared to machine quilting!
    Old 11-22-2011, 05:45 AM

Your problem mirrors mine when I started with my Brother 1500s, on a Gracie II frame. I talked to the dealer and was advised to lower the fabric to lay on the machine. You mentioned the popping sound. I had that too. When I lowered the fabric to lay directly on the machine, it stopped, and the needles stopped breaking. Your roll up rod setting in the throat of the machine should roll so the fabric is clockwise looking to the left. Verify that you are inserting the needle properly. --- Just posted and saw your latest post -- Before you take it off the frame try the above and also be sure the tention is adjusted. I also took mine off the frame and it worked wonderful. You will find it seems to be a different machine on the frame. I know I have a different machine, but they are so similar.

Last edited by DebbyT; 11-22-2011 at 05:51 AM.
    Old 11-22-2011, 05:52 AM

Hmmmm.. so the rod is supposed to be on the machine, then? It doesn't hinder the machine moving?

I want to leave work RIGHT NOW and try this!!!

Originally Posted by DebbyT
    Your problem mirrors mine when I started with my Brother 1500s, on a Gracie II frame. I talked to the dealer and was advised to lower the fabric to lay on the machine. You mentioned the popping sound. I had that too. When I lowered the fabric to lay directly on the machine, it stopped, and the needles stopped breaking. Your roll up rod setting in the throat of the machine should roll so the fabric is clockwise looking to the left. Verify that you are inserting the needle properly.
    Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 AM

your talking about a poping noise that may be the fabric your using or the needle may be the wronge size or not sharp.
    Old 11-22-2011, 06:05 AM

I use sheets all the time and haven't had any problems with the sheets. I just use a thinner needle for sewing the sheets. The only time I have had problems is when I didn't install my needle in right and it was slightly turned.
    Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 AM

Is this happening when you are free motion quilting, per chance? Since it has happened on two different machines, it sounds like it might be something you are doing. FM quilting makes us pull and push on the quilt sandwich and often we push or pull to hard or fast and the needle deflects, comes down, misses the hole and "snap"! Could that be the problem? You might want to use a stronger needle, like the titanium kind also.
    Michelle
    Old 11-22-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Michellesews
    Is this happening when you are free motion quilting, per chance? Since it has happened on two different machines, it sounds like it might be something you are doing. FM quilting makes us pull and push on the quilt sandwich and often we push or pull to hard or fast and the needle deflects, comes down, misses the hole and "snap"! Could that be the problem? You might want to use a stronger needle, like the titanium kind also.
    Michelle
    Ahhh, before I wrote my previous post, I did not realize you had it on a frame! Okay....yes, you probably have it rolled too tightly and sheets are a little hard on needles as they are so closely woven, that is where the popping noise may be coming from that and too tight a wind. This is a common mistake among new frame quilters. I was told, and it is true, that when you have your quilt rolled, you should be able to poke your finger from beneath the quilt and grab it from above....now that is loose, and I will admit, I have mine a little tighter than that, but there has to be some flop in the quilt sandwich, it cannot me like a military man's bed, where a dime bounces off of it. Good luck, hope you are get this working for you, I know how frustrating it can be.
    Michelle
    Old 11-22-2011, 09:45 AM

[QUOTE=AshleyR;4708954]Hmmmm.. so the rod is supposed to be on the machine, then? It doesn't hinder the machine moving?

I want to leave work RIGHT NOW and try this!!![/QUOTE

I find that I need raise the pole often as it will get too tight against the machine and will cause some resistance when moving the machine. ---- Sooo don't forget to raise the rod just a bit, about every 2-3 rows. --- And don't be in too much of a rush. There is so much to learn and I made a lot of mistakes and am still learning. Our friends here on the Board have offered a lot of suggestions that all are valuable, and need to be concidered as well. My thread was breaking more often than the needle. It took about 3 days to get it close to right and actually get a complete row done without breaking the thread or a needle. I have actually completed a quilt without breaking a needle, but it took a lot of learning and it was a smaller quilt. Good luck.
    Old 11-23-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by DebbyT
    Your problem mirrors mine when I started with my Brother 1500s, on a Gracie II frame. I talked to the dealer and was advised to lower the fabric to lay on the machine. You mentioned the popping sound. I had that too. When I lowered the fabric to lay directly on the machine, it stopped, and the needles stopped breaking. Your roll up rod setting in the throat of the machine should roll so the fabric is clockwise looking to the left. Verify that you are inserting the needle properly. --- Just posted and saw your latest post -- Before you take it off the frame try the above and also be sure the tention is adjusted. I also took mine off the frame and it worked wonderful. You will find it seems to be a different machine on the frame. I know I have a different machine, but they are so similar.
    I said 'clockwise to the left'. - Let me correct. - The fabric should roll under the rod. The rod is rolled 'Counter Clockwise' looking to the left.
    Old 11-26-2011, 07:35 AM

Thanks for all your help. However, I've decided to sell the frame because it hates me and I hate it! I have no troubles with the machine by itself and it's so nice to sew on!!