Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help the Brother Out!!! Need Sugestions on Organizing Fabric..... >
  • Help the Brother Out!!! Need Sugestions on Organizing Fabric.....

• Help the Brother Out!!! Need Sugestions on Organizing Fabric.....

Old 02-21-2011, 10:42 AM

I have 7 of the pattern cabinets from fabric stores that have gone out of business. Six of them are back to back, with a 2 piece counter top which makes my cutting table, then the drawers are filled with folded fabric. Each drawer has a certain background color in it, and the fabric is folded around a 4" ruler, then put in the drawers so that I can see each fabric.
    Old 02-21-2011, 10:43 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    What are the dimensions of your room? and where are the windows?
    40x20 is the up stairs and downstairs the showroom will be the same but I have another 22 feet added to it for the garage/storage.

Billy
    Old 02-21-2011, 10:48 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by pocoellie
    I have 7 of the pattern cabinets from fabric stores that have gone out of business. Six of them are back to back, with a 2 piece counter top which makes my cutting table, then the drawers are filled with folded fabric. Each drawer has a certain background color in it, and the fabric is folded around a 4" ruler, then put in the drawers so that I can see each fabric.
    I really like that idea, it makes use of the underside of the table that would normally go to waste. That might be a great deal for my FQ's, shorter cuts and my patterns.

Thanks for the help guys, you really have my creative juices flowing and I am getting really excited about building it now!!

Billy
    Old 02-21-2011, 10:48 AM
    Power Poster

I like both cabinets with drawers and closets with doors to keep the dust out and sun from fading fabric and making lines. It also calms the room to me and the project that I work on will demand my focus and eye.

Storing fat quarters standing on their sides in shallow drawers is one of my favorites for that cut.

I would love shelves with doors in front of them for storing larger cuts on those boards that they are selling.
    Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 AM

I have some cabinets that we had built into the wall. When I want to see what I have, I just open all the doors and step back.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-155031.jpe  
    Old 02-21-2011, 11:28 AM
    Power Poster

Oh drool. Very nice and do I spot some drawers down there too?

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I have some cabinets that we had built into the wall. When I want to see what I have, I just open all the doors and step back.
    Old 02-21-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts

Yes there are 3 shallow drawers and 2 deep ones. This picture was taken about 2 years ago. It is now stuffed to the gills. I don't think I could fit another yard of fabric in there any more!!!!
    Old 02-21-2011, 11:44 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Annaquilts

Yes there are 3 shallow drawers and 2 deep ones. This picture was taken about 2 years ago. It is now stuffed to the gills. I don't think I could fit another yard of fabric in there any more!!!!
    Let me get this addition finished and I know where you can send your orphans!! :P

I really like your cabinets and I didnt think about just throwing the doors open to see what to work with. Hmmmmm more alternatives.......... :-D

Billy
    Old 02-21-2011, 12:07 PM

These cabinets were special ordererd from Home Depot. They are shallower than the "stock" cabinets. I didn't want the temptation of putting my fabrics in 2 layers deep, then I would not be able to see them. This is actually 9 cabinets, 3 base cabinets and 6 wall cabinets. All made to the same depth. I love my cabinets and they help me to keep my sewing room organized. This is also my family room so I needed to keep it looking "nice" I have a lot of "overflow" in various places but this is the majority (ok, maybe just over half) of it.
    Old 02-21-2011, 12:34 PM
    Banned

I really like the look of the cabinets for sure! I am going with all natural woods for the cabinets and fixtures. I love the warmth that the wood gives a room. I will be putting in a Pergo floor both upstairs and downstairs that will mimic hardwood flooring. I use the stuff in my kitchen and after the last 6 or 7 years it looks just like the day I put it in. And it matches the hardwood floors that we have in the rest of the house!

Billy