Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help - Changing a Rotary Cutter Blade >
  • Help - Changing a Rotary Cutter Blade

• Help - Changing a Rotary Cutter Blade

Old 05-10-2017, 08:04 AM

Default Help - Changing a Rotary Cutter Blade

Been quilting almost 13 years and still have to go to Youtube every single time I need to change rotary blades. And I have the quick change rotary cutter!!! Any tips on how to skip Youtube and just do it?
    Old 05-10-2017, 09:44 AM
    KLO

As I take each part off the handle, I put it down in a "horizontal line" with the other pieces with the first one off being the one farthermost from where I am working. I usually pull each piece off and place it down so that I can pick it up the same way I put it down and put it back on the handle the same way it came off. Hope that makes sense. Oh and maybe put the pieces taken off from one side of the handle to the left (as you are holding the cutter just as you would use it) and the pieces taken off from the right side to the right. Hope this helps.
    Old 05-10-2017, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by KLO
    As I take each part off the handle, I put it down in a "horizontal line" with the other pieces with the first one off being the one farthermost from where I am working. I usually pull each piece off and place it down so that I can pick it up the same way I put it down and put it back on the handle the same way it came off. Hope that makes sense. Oh and maybe put the pieces taken off from one side of the handle to the left (as you are holding the cutter just as you would use it) and the pieces taken off from the right side to the right. Hope this helps.
    That's how I do it but I don't have a quick change cutter. Just the regular Olfa one.
    Old 05-10-2017, 10:34 AM

I wear my Klutz glove when changing a blade. Any protection helps.
    Old 05-10-2017, 10:52 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by KLO
    thanks for making it so clear
    Old 05-10-2017, 10:56 AM

Ah you are not alone, I kept the outer pkg from the cutter and use the diagram every time I change the blades. Laying out the pieces in order helps, perhaps you could write down the exact order of pieces next time and tack the paper to the wall.
    Old 05-10-2017, 11:39 AM

I am laughing loudly, not at you but at me! I have been quilting for almost 10 years and at the quilt retreat I was just at the gal who owns the quilt shop and hosts the retreat said, "Sharon you have your blade on the wrong side." News to me, it seemed to work ok, then I remembered when I was cutting double layer of fleece I had a hard time getting the blade to go through the double layer. We sometimes are a slow learning bunch. lol
    Old 05-10-2017, 11:54 AM

I change mine just like KLO does.
    Old 05-10-2017, 11:59 AM
    Power Poster

How I do it. The hubs uses this method when he takes things apart. First piece removed is farthest from the thinga majig. Often depending we both will take a quick photo.
    Originally Posted by KLO
    Old 05-10-2017, 01:04 PM
    Power Poster

I do fine until I get to that curved washer thingy. I can't even tell from the diagram which way it should go.